Go Back  DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Dakota > 1st Gen Dakota
Reload this Page > To much red interior
Notices
1st Gen Dakota '96 & Older Dakota's

To much red interior

Old 07-16-2017, 04:18 PM
Cameron707
Default To much red interior

To much red interior in my 92 dakota club cab 4x4.... I mean everyone's red red carpet red seats red dash red headliner. I was thinking of trying to make some of it black black headliner and carpet mabe fix cracked dash and paint black.. whatcha guys think? Any suggestion?

Old 07-16-2017, 04:52 PM
tbugden
Captain

Originally Posted by Cameron707 View Post
To much red interior in my 92 dakota club cab 4x4.... I mean everyone's red red carpet red seats red dash red headliner. I was thinking of trying to make some of it black black headliner and carpet mabe fix cracked dash and paint black.. whatcha guys think? Any suggestion?
Sounds like if you got a cracked dash anyway, maybe go to a pick and and pull and get everything out of a truck with a grey interior. The interiors can be removed pretty quickly. I'm not aware that any came with black, I think you're right with painting if that's what you really want. Headliners can be recovered, but I'm not sure how to achieve a black carpet.

Old 07-16-2017, 05:18 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker

You can get headliner materiel at Joann Fabrics. They have dozens of different materiel colors and patterns. I went with grey. I recommend you mark the direction of the visor mount I had a heck of a time getting mine to line back up. Well harder than it should have been. You also get the spray glue there. I have seen guys on here post pics of painted interior parts and here is a link for molded $128.00 to start carpet http://www.stockinteriors.com/AutoCa...33&ModelId=166
That link is for an extended cab, I missed that when I posted. Make sure you use the site to get the size you need. Here's a 87-96 4x4 regular cab even cheaper $116 to start
http://www.stockinteriors.com/AutoCa...33&ModelId=165

Last edited by onemore94dak; 07-16-2017 at 05:34 PM.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:56 PM
RalphP
Record Breaker

There's some instructions on Allpar ( http://www.allpar.com/eek/headliner.html ) on how to redo the headliner.

Also, I'd suggest two more things when doing the carpet AND the headliner.

1) For both, add some sound deadening. Dynamat is the canonical brand, but there are other identical products.

2) Add the mass backing to your carpet order; again, better sound deadening.

Oh, and for the dash? Pick up another cracked dash out of the boneyard, strip the foam and vinyl, and recover it with boat grade vinyl and foam. Takes a while, but you can do the color you want.

You REALLY want to go fancy? Pick up a heavy duty sewing machine used but good; and pick up a few books on do it yourself auto upholstery. Do your own seats. It's amazing how time intensive, but otherwise not that hard (mentally) it is. Takes some manual dexterity; you may have to do it two or three times to get it right; but eh. You can then go "I made dis!" *grins*

RwP

Last edited by RalphP; 07-16-2017 at 06:02 PM.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:12 PM
robertmee
All Star

I have the all red/maroon interior also. I'm having the top replaced at a local interior shop (vert), so I asked ballpark cost to change interior color. There's ALOT of red pieces...about $3500. I think I'll learn to love the red

Old 07-16-2017, 11:29 PM
Toby Warford
Veteran

If you really love your truck, you can get black door panels, dash over lay, and lower carpet on eBay.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:01 AM
93 ragtop
Captain

Originally Posted by robertmee View Post
I have the all red/maroon interior also. I'm having the top replaced at a local interior shop (vert), so I asked ballpark cost to change interior color. There's ALOT of red pieces...about $3500. I think I'll learn to love the red

Thats what I have done.

IMO there are several problems with trying to change colors on a 1st gen dakota.
1. Aftermarket parts are substandard compared to the factory. (IMO)
2. Used parts are brittle, already faded, or wore out.

I have the all red interior as well. Thought about changing it, but as Robert said, learned to love it!

The whole look of these trucks is not modern. And in a lot of ways the all red interior matches the time era they were built in.

If your going to get rid of some of the red, maybe the carpet. But if you go Black dash cover, black carpet, and black headliner, but leave the rest red, its going to look like a checker board inside.

Search this Thread