1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Blower fan 1 speed only

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 11:01 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Toby Warford
theres a resistor inside of that switch. And the resistor on the firewall. The firewall is easy and cheaply replaceable as you know. The one inside the cab on the hvac control unit is $60 and takes someone to order it usually.

Anyways, I'm going to dumb this down a little since youre an intelligent guy.

Remove the hvac unit from the dash. Remoce the little black piece on the switch where you chooss the speed. Flip it around so you can see the back where the vacuum lines connect. There's a couple fasteners to remove the silver box. Once you have that in your hands take a pair of pliers or similar and pry the tabs open. It should now seperate. Inside of that should be some grease to let the tab slide and springs like the resistor does. Replace the bad springs. Hardware store or whatever works. (True story. I went to the parts store to order a new one. Dead of winter in Ohio btw. Need heat now! He told me how much it was and I bout crapped myself. Anyways, he got to looking at it and askes if he minds if he took it apart. Figured why not, nothing to loose. Found the bad spring. And replaced it with a click bic pen he tore apart for me. He said go try that and lmk how it works. Told him give me 4 minutes and ill tell ya. Worked perfectly! I paid him with a 12 pack half an hour later. Still works great to this day. )
You mean the units here?

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/d...er+switch,4248

No resistor in there, bubba.

That's a switch.

You're confusing a switch wiper with a resistor.

Take another look.

RwP

Old 08-10-2017, 11:52 PM
Toby Warford
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RalphP
You mean the units here?

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/d...er+switch,4248

No resistor in there, bubba.

That's a switch.

You're confusing a switch wiper with a resistor.

Take another look.

RwP
resistor technically or not, its built almost identical to the resistor on the fire wall. Theres springs behind each of those prongs that carry the current. When they get old or over current etc, they give out. I have a spare one I can take apart next week for pics if you'd like.

And dont call me bubba. We ain't in prison, and we're not in person close friends.

Old 08-10-2017, 11:55 PM
Toby Warford
Banned

Originally Posted by tbugden
I got two Napas within 20 minutes of me as well as two Advance Autos and one Autozone. The only one I like going to is Autozone because my friend works there and really really knows his stuff.

At least I have a hardware store like you describe...no auto parts store though.
I usually go to advance because they're cheaper then anyone else includimg rock auto. Idk why rock auto is praised so much. Screw waiting. 80% of people dont replace parts just for fun amd can wait for shipping. And I've seen rock auto mess up orders and ship the wrong parts. Lol. Ill save more or only pay more by only a few dollars amd get it the same day.

Though, that Napa I mentioned is great at being able to get off ball parts no one else even lists.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:24 AM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Toby Warford
I usually go to advance because they're cheaper then anyone else includimg rock auto. Idk why rock auto is praised so much. Screw waiting. 80% of people dont replace parts just for fun amd can wait for shipping. And I've seen rock auto mess up orders and ship the wrong parts. Lol. Ill save more or only pay more by only a few dollars amd get it the same day.

Though, that Napa I mentioned is great at being able to get off ball parts no one else even lists.
Agreed, Napa has a ridiculous inventory. I don't even know how they do it. They resurface rotors too which advance and AutoZone don't. Never done that though.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:28 AM
Toby Warford
Banned

Originally Posted by tbugden
Agreed, Napa has a ridiculous inventory. I don't even know how they do it. They resurface rotors too which advance and AutoZone don't. Never done that though.
the one I go to doesn't, but the main store up the road does. They do full on machine work too. Heads engines etc. Custom hoses for radiators, power steerinf etc. Press in u joints, the works.