1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Blower fan 1 speed only

Old 08-10-2017, 07:35 AM
ba_50
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blower fan 1 speed only

The fan runs on high speed only. How can I test the resistor and power to the resistor?
Thanks.

Old 08-10-2017, 07:46 AM
SHO Rod
All Star
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

The easiest thing to do is probably going to be locating the resistor, removing it, and inspecting both the resistor and the connector to it. If the connector is not melted (which was common for various Chrysler products from that era), chances are pretty good the thermal fuse built in to the resistor is blown. If you have a continuity or ohmmeter you can confirm whether or not the resistor is open.

On high speed, the resistor if bypassed, so your symptoms are very consistent with a bad resistor block assembly or melted resistor block connector.

-Rod

Old 08-10-2017, 08:20 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

And good news - the resistor is under the hood on the Gen1's.

Pic attached from the web.

RwP

Old 08-10-2017, 09:19 AM
Toby Warford
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As stated, its more then likely the resistor on the firewall or the connector. More then likely the resistor. Its less then $10 at a local parts store and takes 3 minutes to replace. Undo the connect and remove the two 5/16? Screws.

if its not that or the connector, theres another resistor pack inside the hvac fan speed selector. No worries on that though, that can be redone at home cheap or free. If it gets to that, ill do a write up for you.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:54 PM
ba_50
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Toby Warford
As stated, its more then likely the resistor on the firewall or the connector. More then likely the resistor. Its less then $10 at a local parts store and takes 3 minutes to replace. Undo the connect and remove the two 5/16? Screws.

if its not that or the connector, theres another resistor pack inside the hvac fan speed selector. No worries on that though, that can be redone at home cheap or free. If it gets to that, ill do a write up for you.
A new resistor seems have fixed it. Good to know about thr one.

Thankyou all.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:41 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Umm ... You may need to do that.

My 1988, which is sporting a HVAC control unit out of a 1995, didn't have a resistor inside.

What it HAS, is a switch. Which is available separately.

RwP

Old 08-10-2017, 09:50 PM
Toby Warford
Banned

Originally Posted by RalphP
Umm ... You may need to do that.

My 1988, which is sporting a HVAC control unit out of a 1995, didn't have a resistor inside.

What it HAS, is a switch. Which is available separately.

RwP
theres a resistor inside of that switch. And the resistor on the firewall. The firewall is easy and cheaply replaceable as you know. The one inside the cab on the hvac control unit is $60 and takes someone to order it usually.

Anyways, I'm going to dumb this down a little since youre an intelligent guy.

Remove the hvac unit from the dash. Remoce the little black piece on the switch where you chooss the speed. Flip it around so you can see the back where the vacuum lines connect. There's a couple fasteners to remove the silver box. Once you have that in your hands take a pair of pliers or similar and pry the tabs open. It should now seperate. Inside of that should be some grease to let the tab slide and springs like the resistor does. Replace the bad springs. Hardware store or whatever works. (True story. I went to the parts store to order a new one. Dead of winter in Ohio btw. Need heat now! He told me how much it was and I bout crapped myself. Anyways, he got to looking at it and askes if he minds if he took it apart. Figured why not, nothing to loose. Found the bad spring. And replaced it with a click bic pen he tore apart for me. He said go try that and lmk how it works. Told him give me 4 minutes and ill tell ya. Worked perfectly! I paid him with a 12 pack half an hour later. Still works great to this day. )

Old 08-10-2017, 10:04 PM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

theres a resistor inside of that switch. And the resistor on the firewall. The firewall is easy and cheaply replaceable as you know. The one inside the cab on the hvac control unit is $60 and takes someone to order it usually.

Anyways, I'm going to dumb this down a little since youre an intelligent guy.

Remove the hvac unit from the dash. Remoce the little black piece on the switch where you chooss the speed. Flip it around so you can see the back where the vacuum lines connect. There's a couple fasteners to remove the silver box. Once you have that in your hands take a pair of pliers or similar and pry the tabs open. It should now seperate. Inside of that should be some grease to let the tab slide and springs like the resistor does. Replace the bad springs. Hardware store or whatever works. (True story. I went to the parts store to order a new one. Dead of winter in Ohio btw. Need heat now! He told me how much it was and I bout crapped myself. Anyways, he got to looking at it and askes if he minds if he took it apart. Figured why not, nothing to loose. Found the bad spring. And replaced it with a click bic pen he tore apart for me. He said go try that and lmk how it works. Told him give me 4 minutes and ill tell ya. Worked perfectly! I paid him with a 12 pack half an hour later. Still works great to this day. )
Cool story bro.

No really that's pretty awesome! Good parts store you got.

Old 08-10-2017, 10:06 PM
Toby Warford
Banned

Originally Posted by tbugden
Cool story bro.

No really that's pretty awesome! Good parts store you got.
hometown Napa ftw. Locally owned and operates.

Old 08-10-2017, 10:58 PM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

hometown Napa ftw. Locally owned and operates.

I got two Napas within 20 minutes of me as well as two Advance Autos and one Autozone. The only one I like going to is Autozone because my friend works there and really really knows his stuff.

At least I have a hardware store like you describe...no auto parts store though.

Search this Thread