1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

'91 5.2 TBI suddenly stumbling/stalling

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 03:34 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdumbloser
Ah, okay - a buffer.
Exactly.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:33 PM
bigdumbloser
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

End of this part of the story: There doesn't seem to have been anything wrong with my fuel pump rebuild - I just fired it up and it's running fine. I think the problem was a combination of impatience (ain't it always?) and not getting how that buffer chamber works. It helped to take my time on the second go-round, just prop the tank up into place (where the wires and hoses would reach and I could get at them, but short of bolting it up) for testing. But I noticed as well that I'm way overdue for a new air filter, so I'll get a replacement forthwith and await the next chance for a proper road test under full load.

Thanks for the help (and patience) on this one, guys.

Old 10-23-2017, 01:48 PM
bigdumbloser
Rookie

I'm back, and I'm a hate-filled man. I just bolted the tank up for the second time, and it's half-full of gas, so I'm quite certain I'm not sucking air. But I can't get this thing to keep running for more than about 30 seconds. I think I know what's happening, but need confirmation from someone who's rebuilt one of these pumps before I empty it out - again - and drop the tank - again. This is the one with the cylindrical filter at the bottom, not the bag/envelope-style filter.

Below the pump, and inside the cylindrical filter that snaps up onto the bottom of the pump housing, is a disk that appears to be a float. I've been puzzling over what it does and how it's supposed to work, so tell me if I'm right: If it's a float valve that's open when there's enough gas in the tank (letting in gas from below), but closes when the level is too low (switching the pump's supply to what's above it in the chamber, that means the little rubber valve disk/flap on top of the float has to be pulled up through the hole in the housing, suspending the float. Otherwise, the float can fall down and will work just the opposite of intended, which could be consistent with the symptoms.

Agree/Disagree/Disagree Strongly?

Old 10-23-2017, 04:34 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

I cannot answer your question. I looked in my FSM for the 95 and chapter 14 page 3 starts the fuel pump. You might see something there that helps you. There is a 95 and 96 FSM on the FAQ page. I have a pump I bought new from Autozone then replaced with a used one to get my gauge to work and because I broke the rollover valve it had on it.Turns out I had it rotated the wrong direction. I put in the used one because I had not known about the rollover valve fix there is on here on the FAQ page.
I used it less than a year. I paid $145 Make an offer plus Shipping and its yours. Send me a PM if you get to that point.

Old 10-23-2017, 04:48 PM
bigdumbloser
Rookie

Thanks for the lead, but which FAQ can I find these things in? I see a bunch of FAQs here.

Old 10-23-2017, 05:46 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

The first FAQ -General Info, Common problems, Factory Service Manuals

Old 10-24-2017, 01:12 PM
bigdumbloser
Rookie

Weird - I looked there - can't explain why I didn't see them. I've downloaded them and will take a look. Thanks.

In the meantime, though, this sonofabitch has been put to bed. I got it right in post #33 above: When rebuilding one of these things, be careful when replacing that lower cylindrical filter. If, when you remove it, you pull out the disc float that's inside, be sure to poke the rubber valve through the hole directly beneath the pump intake when you put it back together. Otherwise that valve will prevent fuel flow from the tank to the pump intake.