1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

over drive wont hold?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 07:31 AM
Wolfen1086
Professional
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default over drive wont hold?

1993 4wd 6" lift 33's over drive wont stay, it keeps going in and out with the A/C on without the A/C on it seems to hold better, is it a transmission problem or a low end power? I have noticed a incomplete burn of fuel smell like a rick carb on a old Chevy truck.
Yall got ideas?
Also, is it electronic od or cable od?

Old 08-12-2017, 09:36 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolfen1086
1993 4wd 6" lift 33's over drive wont stay, it keeps going in and out with the A/C on without the A/C on it seems to hold better, is it a transmission problem or a low end power? I have noticed a incomplete burn of fuel smell like a rick carb on a old Chevy truck.
Yall got ideas?
Electrical O/D.

I'd tackle that incomplete fuel burn first, typical steps - how fresh is the plugs/wires/rotor/cap, what kind of shape is the plenum gasket in, how are the vacuum lines, how old is the O2 sensor, etc.

RwP

Old 08-12-2017, 12:10 PM
Wolfen1086
Professional

Originally Posted by RalphP
Electrical O/D.

I'd tackle that incomplete fuel burn first, typical steps - how fresh is the plugs/wires/rotor/cap, what kind of shape is the plenum gasket in, how are the vacuum lines, how old is the O2 sensor, etc.

RwP
electrical.....great......thanks
I really wanna tackle the burn first plugs cap rotor and wires are a week old vac lines seem to be in order none rotted, collapsed or holes and pieces missing, plentum gasket I guess is ok cause there's no lopes and the idle is stable at 700 rpm o2 sensor has to be good it looks new too

gonna do a col check the old fashioned way Monday when I'm off I really hoe that's the problem in a nutshell cause if I cant replace that coil where it is I retire

Last edited by Wolfen1086; 08-12-2017 at 12:12 PM.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:50 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Check your vacuum also; if the vacuum's too low due to another problem, you won't have cruise, and the ECU may well decide to disable overdrive.

I'd also do the visual examination; the ECU will TRY to correct for a leaky plenum causing low vacuum, but the best test is to peek down through the throttle body and seeing if the bottom of the plenum is dirty/oily or not.

RwP

Old 08-12-2017, 01:38 PM
Toby Warford
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wolfen1086
Yall got ideas?
can you show us some pics of this beast?

My first thoughts was gearing. Theres a chance you have 3:21 gears which is way to low for 33" tires. Depending on other factors 3:55 is borderline. Though, you didnt mention when the OD kicks in and out. Flat ground or some kind of grade? Also, I'm not saying you do or don't know, but are you 100% its OD kicking our and its just not the Torque Convertor unlocking?

Old 08-12-2017, 01:54 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Originally Posted by Toby Warford

My first thoughts was gearing. Theres a chance you have 3:21 gears which is way to low for 33" tires. Depending on other factors 3:55 is borderline. Though, you didnt mention when the OD kicks in and out. Flat ground or some kind of grade? Also, I'm not saying you do or don't know, but are you 100% its OD kicking our and its just not the Torque Convertor unlocking?
That was my thoughts as well. Just how much are RPM jumping?

Old 08-13-2017, 01:43 PM
Wolfen1086
Professional

Originally Posted by RalphP
Check your vacuum also; if the vacuum's too low due to another problem, you won't have cruise, and the ECU may well decide to disable overdrive.

that's gonna take a few more investigations on vac, cruise don't work at all and there's vac to it

I'd also do the visual examination; the ECU will TRY to correct for a leaky plenum causing low vacuum, but the best test is to peek down through the throttle body and seeing if the bottom of the plenum is dirty/oily or not.

RwP
dd one gonna keep trying till I find something

Originally Posted by Toby Warford

Originally Posted by HeyYou
That was my thoughts as well. Just how much are RPM jumping?
Flat level I'll get up to 55 let it sink into od then it starts slowly slowing down and od kicks out that's what makes me thing its a fire issue, because thees no rpm jump,

I will be posting pictures as soon can I get my internet fast enough to upload something, youngest son has to work on the router first, but I war ya shes not much to look at

Old 08-19-2017, 07:17 AM
Wolfen1086
Professional

ok yall , got pics here they are

Attached Thumbnails over drive wont hold?-20170725_152907.jpg   over drive wont hold?-20170725_152916.jpg   over drive wont hold?-20170725_152925.jpg   over drive wont hold?-20170725_152939.jpg   over drive wont hold?-20170725_153101.jpg  

over drive wont hold?-20170725_153105.jpg  
Old 08-19-2017, 07:21 AM
Wolfen1086
Professional

Still having the same od problem under 45 it works fine drives in od forever, above 50 it goes in and out of od constantly, I found if I turn off the ac it stays in od a little longer od button on the dash works cause if I press it od goes off completely, takes half a tank to go 50 miles too, and cruise control doesn't function at all, I asked a guy at work what it could be he said the od selonid in the transmission or the speed sence on the trans.
I gotta find out what is wrong before a sell it I love pickups but this is redulicous

Old 08-19-2017, 10:21 AM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

I did not read the whole thread. You last post makes me think of my truck when I first bought it. Its the 3.9 2wd. It ran out of gas at 150 miles on a full tank! Doing the plenum fixed that. I also did the water pump and timing chain and pretty much all of the sensors in the throttle body and intake manifold when I did it. I also changed out the O2 sensor. I cleaned the intake and tb really well. I got 385 miles on the next tank of gas. Now that I have the gauge fixed it gets 320 miles per tank before I fill it. I usually have 2+ gallons in the tank which is 30+ miles when I fill up. You should also do a vacuum check and check the CAT to see if it is worn out or clogged.
The OD solenoid sounds like the right call. I would also make sure the throttle valve cable is properly adjusted at the transmission first then at the throttle body. I can't find the info I had at one time that describes the correct procedure for setting it at each end. I had a problem with my trans and OD seeming to be working wrong. I wasted money on a rebuild. It improved when I put in a new Crank sensor. Oh yea I also changed the switch plate which is under the rotor. That wire coming out of the dist connects to it.