1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Did I find the right spot? Won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 09:20 PM
Bpick
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did I find the right spot? Won't start.

Hope this is the right page for help, my 92 6 4x4 won't start. I r&rd the starter. Still nothing, I replaced the starter relay, nothing. Now what?

Old 09-09-2018, 09:41 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

By "won't start" I presume you mean "won't turn over"?

Logical troubleshooting.

Can you jump the starter relay and it spin? If so, then it's the wiring to the relay from the ignition switch.

If not, then it's wiring from the battery through the relay to the starter. Can also be the NEGATIVE run.

RwP

Old 09-09-2018, 10:04 PM
Bpick

Originally Posted by Bpick
Hope this is the right page for help, my 92 6 4x4 won't start. I r&rd the starter. Still nothing, I replaced the starter relay, nothing. Now what?
Originally Posted by RalphP
By "won't start" I presume you mean "won't turn over"?

Logical troubleshooting.

Can you jump the starter relay and it spin? If so, then it's the wiring to the relay from the ignition switch.

If not, then it's wiring from the battery through the relay to the starter. Can also be the NEGATIVE run.

RwP
I don't get anything, no even the click. I'll try jumping it tomorrow. It should get something from jumping it's a brand new starter. I hate tracing wires. If it was in a shop that might be different but it's not. Would it get me anywhere to use a test light at the relay?

Old 09-09-2018, 10:12 PM
Bpick

I don't really know what I'm doing so I know how to jump the starter, but how do you jump a relay? I've never needed to do all this before just replace the part that's not working

Old 09-09-2018, 11:18 PM
RalphP
Champion

Well,first, you need to figure out what's NOT working, don't you?

To jump it, take a pair of pliers, and with the relay removed, jump across the two active wires.

Which ones are those? Well, you'll need a wiring diagram for a 1992 (which I don't have); RockAuto lists the factory service manual, printed by Bishko for Chrysler, on disc as a PDF for about $23.

Someone else here may have one and can kick out the page needed out of the PDF.

There's always the possibility of the ignition switch itself failing; you'd need to check it, or just toss parts at it, to find that out. I'd test myself.

Suggestion: Harbor Freight, if you have one in your town, will have some cheap multimeters that will do the job good enough.

Checking the parts list (from the FAQ here), I find the original part number for the starter relay is 4504215. I find that has as Bosch style pinout; I'd jump pins 30 and 87 on the relay and see if the starter spins over. If it's not labeled, grab a Bosch SPST relay and use its labeling. Or use an image like https://www.rockauto.com/info/903/1R1007__ra_p.jpg .

If that works, it's the wiring to the relay, or the relay itself.

With that checked, I'd get a friend to help turn the key to START and see if you get 12V across the 85 and 86 pins with the key at start. Also, I'd see if you get continuity from either to the chassis with the power off.

Due to age, I'd SWAG that the ignition switch is failing; but that's enough of a pain to swap, I'd really test the signals first.

RwP

Old 09-11-2018, 08:45 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

that ign switch is a piece of cake 91 to 96. but still not enough info. Hows the battery? have you tried a jump? Cables clean? check ground at BOTH ends. got those silly repair ends on the cables at the battery? I HATE those things.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:08 PM
Bpick

well I think I found the issue, there is half of an inline fuse in the starter relay circuit, I mean that the wires come off the starter relay and there is a factory splice into an inline fuse receptacle but no fuse and nothing visible that it attaches too. now what.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:09 PM
Bpick

the battery is brand new, all the lights and everything comes on fine when I turn the ke , just nothing at the starter

Old 09-19-2018, 08:11 PM
Bpick

I know what the relay looks like I need to see the wiring diagram to know what this wire is supposed to attach TO

Old 09-19-2018, 11:01 PM
RalphP
Champion

There's a splice that looks kind of like a fuse holder there on a lot of our trucks. There might be another matching end sitting under where you're looking.

The wiring diagram will be in the factory service manual, printed by Bishko Publishing for Chrysler.

They can be had on Ebay used; several places new. The disc version (a PDF) is usually right under $23 at RockAuto.COM .

RwP

Quick Reply: Did I find the right spot? Won't start.