1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Torque converter replacement. 1996 Dakota slt

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 09:23 AM
96dakota3.9l
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Torque converter replacement. 1996 Dakota slt

Having trouble figuring out how to drop the transmission so I can replace the torque converter, if someone could provide a video or a blow apart diagram of a 42-re transmission with converter I would appreciate it.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:34 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Put truck on jackstands.
Remove rear driveshaft.
Drain fluid from trans. (trust me, you want to do this BEFORE you drop the trans.....)
Support trans on jack.
Disconnect shift linkage, tv cable, and any electrical connectors.
Remove starter motor, and dustshield from bellhousing.
Remove torque converter to flexplate bolts.
Remove bellhousing bolts.
Remove rear crossmember. (trans should now be supported on just the jack.)
Gonna have to pull the trans back a couple inches, to get it to disengage from the dowel pins on the bellhousing.
Lower trans.
Pull it out from under truck.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:42 AM
96dakota3.9l
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Put truck on jackstands.
Remove rear driveshaft.
Drain fluid from trans. (trust me, you want to do this BEFORE you drop the trans.....)
Support trans on jack.
Disconnect shift linkage, tv cable, and any electrical connectors.
Remove starter motor, and dustshield from bellhousing.
Remove torque converter to flexplate bolts.
Remove bellhousing bolts.
Remove rear crossmember. (trans should now be supported on just the jack.)
Gonna have to pull the trans back a couple inches, to get it to disengage from the dowel pins on the bellhousing.
Lower trans.
Pull it out from under truck.
Does the driveshaft on this model collapse or am I going to have to disassemble a U joint? And thanks for the warning but I've dropped a full hydraulic 700r4 wet and dry so, yeah, dropping it sopping wet was real fun, about broke the damn case getting it down. NEVER AGAIN!

Old 09-12-2017, 09:45 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

If you have a one-piece driveshaft, just remove the bolts at the rear diff, and pull the whole shaft. If you have a two-piece, disconnect at the rear diff, drop the center support bearing, (just a couple bolts) and then pull the whole shaft.

Old 09-12-2017, 10:04 AM
96dakota3.9l

Thank you kindly, been puzzling this for a couple weeks now. My forte is GMC, Ford, and a bit of VW, sadly I don't know the little quirks that make a dodge a dodge, well other than that changing the plugs on a hemi is a sight harder then it needs to be.

Old 09-12-2017, 02:13 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by 96dakota3.9l
Thank you kindly, been puzzling this for a couple weeks now. My forte is GMC, Ford, and a bit of VW, sadly I don't know the little quirks that make a dodge a dodge, well other than that changing the plugs on a hemi is a sight harder then it needs to be.
And aren't there 16 of them as well????

They are all pretty much the same when it comes to changing 'large' parts. Everything works pretty much the same way.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:59 PM
96dakota3.9l
Talking Re-aren't there 16 of them

Originally Posted by HeyYou
And aren't there 16 of them as well????

They are all pretty much the same when it comes to changing 'large' parts. Everything works pretty much the same way.
Amazing that they think an engine needs two plugs per cylinder, but I suppose hemi(s) have one of the most efficient fuel to power ratios of any V8 ever put on the market and it does mean that if one plug fails to spark there is a backup plug.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:49 PM
Toby Warford
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 96dakota3.9l
Amazing that they think an engine needs two plugs per cylinder, but I suppose hemi(s) have one of the most efficient fuel to power ratios of any V8 ever put on the market and it does mean that if one plug fails to spark there is a backup plug.
its for emissions. There's one on exhaust and one on intake. Ford 4 cylinders used to have them. If one plug fails, it needs changed. Theres no back up for it.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:17 AM
96dakota3.9l
Talking

Originally Posted by Toby Warford
its for emissions. There's one on exhaust and one on intake. Ford 4 cylinders used to have them. If one plug fails, it needs changed. Theres no back up for it.
Actually, while ford may have done that on their 4 cylinders, dodge did not. Dodge first implemented the twin plug design when they started making the third generation Hemis, this burned the fuel in the chamber faster and more consistently then one plug and while it did admittedly improve emissions, that was not the intended goal. Sorry warford but if there is one thing I know it's American made V8 engines. Look up their history if you like, it will tell you that the third generation blocks use a coil on plug distributionless ignition and that they had two plugs per chamber. I appreciate the insight into Ford's small engine tech though because I honestly did not know they where set up that way.

Old 09-13-2017, 10:01 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Aircraft have been using two plugs per cylinder just this side of forever. For them though, it is indeed a 'backup', two completely separate ignition systems.