1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

overdrive solonoid?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 10:16 PM
hydeaway
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overdrive solonoid?

i have a 92 dakota le. the overdrive isnt working and i do not have lockout (4th gear). i do not have the switch but have tried running a jump wire to the different pins in the port. i have a feeling that this is cause by a bad solonoid but i am not sure how to test it.

Old 09-15-2017, 07:45 AM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hydeaway
i have a 92 dakota le. the overdrive isnt working and i do not have lockout (4th gear). i do not have the switch but have tried running a jump wire to the different pins in the port. i have a feeling that this is cause by a bad solonoid but i am not sure how to test it.
The middle pin should have 12vdc. The two outer pins are your lockup and overdrive solenoid grounds. 4th gear is overdrive not lockup. Lockup occurs after overdrive.

if both solenoids are not working could be the 12v is missing....check the center pin on the connector for voltage with a meter or test light. To test solenoids run a 12v jumper from battery to center pin on trans. Then ground each outer pin to a good ground point. Listen for an audible click from the solenoids....theyre in the valve body inside the pan.

Quick Reply: overdrive solonoid?