1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Timing

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 12:30 PM
KyleYankee
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing

Since I'm unable to find a MOPAR performance PCM for my truck, what if I just advanced the timing via the PCM? Would this yield similar results? Is it even possible? 1995 Dakota SLT, 5.2, 5-spd, 4x4.

I have a 5.9L PCM in right now. Seemed to add a little more grunt.

Also, where would I even get timing advanced on this? Its OBDI, and I don't know if any shops still work with OBDI stuff.

Old 09-17-2017, 12:51 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

There's info on the Turbo Dodge forums on how to crack open a SMEC/SBEC and replace the current PROM with a EEPROM which can be field programmed; you can use an EPROM programmer to copy the current code over.

Now, exactly what to fiddle with? That is of course the $1,000,000 question, and something I haven't taken the time to figure out (it's more than a quick glance for me, since I don't even know 68HC10 assembly ... )

There's a few guys around that are supposedly working on it; if we ever get a decode of the PROM that's in there, MPTUNE and MPSCAN can be used on our trucks (they're free; Google for them, or check the links on several of the turbo dodge forums, including TurboDodge ... )

Shucks, we ever get that, you can do a lot more than just swap to the performance ECU; you can customize it enough to make it really sing (or destroy the motor in one pass, depending on how you do!)

While waiting, I'd study up on Greg Banish's books on ECU tuning; also Dan Lasota's books, but Dan's tend to be more ECU specific and he doesn't cover the SMEC/SBEC directly (I've got his Ford book as I'm studying to do my Cougar; need the Quarterhorse first, but learn first, fiddle later is my motto.)

Greg's books are available on Amazon; Lasota's at http://www.lasotaracing.com/ .

RwP

Old 09-17-2017, 11:55 PM
Toby Warford
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been meaning to make a post about this. But ill post here and make a thread later. Read to the end, this is a long post.

here's all of the "free mods" you can do to get more umph if you have the know how and access to tools.

First, look in your grille on the passenger side by the headlight. See the black plastic flap? Rip that sucker out. Its blocking a lot of air. However, dont do this if you live in a sandy or similar area as debris will get to your intake and possibly in the engine. A solution to this is an air filter bag over your filter.

Second, buy a new intake temperature sensor (ok not free here but yours is probably dirty anyway from a blown plenum, they all are basically unless already fixed) and cut an x hole in your intake tube and shove it in there. Theres enough wire to do this. What this does is a little more fuel and/or more precisely monitor intake air temps since the sensor is reading the actual temp of incoming air, instead of heat soak air in the intake. And now you have more air from the first mod, double bonus.

Next, if you have a multimeter, probe the middle wire of your tps on the throttle body. Does it read .7-.75? Probably not. Take the sensor off amd drill out the brass fittings. Go slow or you'll melt the sensor. You just want to be able to pop out the brass fittings. You'll need some washers as the new holes will be bigger them the heads of the bolts that held the sensor on. Now, put the sensor back in, plug it in, key on but don't start. Prob the middle wire again and turn it very carefully until your meter says .7-.75 volts. What this does is give a more precise reading of the tps and slightly adjust your throttle value. More power off the line and better driving experience over.

While your at your throttle body, take it off the intake altogether. Take a dremel and cut off the air horned around the throttle body intake ports. This allows air to flow with less restriction and quicker. Remember the mods we've already done above?

With the throttle body off and your dremel handy, VERY carefully start porting the top to match the bottom. Were talking 2mm of material here. See, the tops of our throttle body's are 48mm and the bottom is 50mm. Make sure you don't go larger then what the blades of the TB is. Now, take something like an emery cloth and mothers mag polish and get a quick silver polish look going. Now you have a beautiful ported and butter smooth restriction free throttle body.

This next mod isn't free but can be free or cheaply done. Where your air hat bolts on, make a c shape bracket and put a small stud in the top. This further lessens the restriction of air flow. You can also buy this bracket already done from some sources from other forums.

If you're still reading GREAT! Because now I'm about to address adjusting timing. On the passenger side of your bell housing is the crank sensor. This is where the computer gets its timing value from. Its a pain to get to but its supposed to be really worth it if performance is what you want. Somehow, you need to get in there and take it out. Then slot the sensor? Or bell housing? (I forget but Google can help if you search magnum cps mod) towards the passenger side. This is reported to have the same effect as adding? Subtracting? 4* of timing which is pretty damned good.

If you havemt already, get a 180* thermostat. Electric fans. And you should be a lot better then you are now. Remember after all this or if you do everything one at a time, you'll need to reset your computer so it can learn the new values of everything.

If that's not enough. Time to find a 5.9 and do all the above to it. Remember your tb is the same as a 5.9. So you won't have to do that twice. Thermostat is the same, so won't have to do that twice.

If theres any questions with anything I wrote above, Google will yield multiple results of each free mod. And as such, is where ive gotten the info myself. I havent done them all myself yet, but plan to.

Hope this helps you out op.