DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   1st Gen Dakota Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-dakota-tech-66/)
-   -   mopar performance computer 1993 (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-dakota-tech/407789-mopar-performance-computer-1993-a.html)

93duhkota 10-07-2017 12:03 AM

mopar performance computer 1993

ive been doing some searching and keep finding claims that the mopar performance computer P5249516 increases torque and horsepower. i was wondering if anybody has ever dyno tested it to see if it actually does. ive had one in my truck since the day i got it and have been curious. it seems pretty peppy. the only things that have been done to it is a magnaflow muffler on the 3" factory exhaust and the pcm.

Moparite 10-07-2017 09:40 AM

All the mopar performance computers are programed for performance over the stock units.

Crazy4x4RT 10-07-2017 10:35 AM

The Mopar Performance PCM's states that they require high octane fuel, 93+ or so. The PCM advances the timing when needed, the high octane is needed to prevent pre-detention (pinging). I do have the Mopar Performance PCM for my 5.9 Magnum, and I do run regular fuel with no pinging.

ragged89 10-10-2017 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by 93duhkota (Post 3361039)
ive been doing some searching and keep finding claims that the mopar performance computer P5249516 increases torque and horsepower. i was wondering if anybody has ever dyno tested it to see if it actually does. ive had one in my truck since the day i got it and have been curious. it seems pretty peppy. the only things that have been done to it is a magnaflow muffler on the 3" factory exhaust and the pcm.

Years ago one of the car magazines did a dyno test comparing the stock PCM to the performance PCM, on a 5.2L I believe. I may have that somewhere, if so, I'll post what I have. As I recall, there was a small HP increase, and a more substancial torque increase. I run one on my '92 5 speed, and it does wake that 5.2L up noticeably.

speedfreak955 01-17-2018 04:53 PM

Hello everyone!!! I've recently purchased a 1994 dakota 5.2/46rh extended cab. Will the computer off the 92/93 work??
If not is there a ram unit that will?

RalphP 01-18-2018 12:58 AM

92/93 computers will expect smaller flow rate injectors, and EGR being present.

I'd try to find a 94/95 computer.

What part of the universe are you in?

(THAT said - I think the RAM unit will, but don't know for sure; I'd compare part numbers).

Oh, and another question - why are you looking for a computer for it?

RwP

speedfreak955 01-18-2018 05:42 AM

Thanks RalphP,
I'm In West Georgia
The comp is fine on mine, I was looking at future performance mods.
The truck will not need emissions after this year so I figured I'd have some fun with it.

Toby Warford 01-18-2018 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by speedfreak955 (Post 3375291)
Thanks RalphP,
I'm In West Georgia
The comp is fine on mine, I was looking at future performance mods.
The truck will not need emissions after this year so I figured I'd have some fun with it.

if you want performance you'll want to get a 96 harness and computer and switch to obd2. Them contact Ryan Hogan aka Flyin Ryan performance and let him have his hand at it. He is the best mopar tuner there is hands down for a magnum engine. You can use a ram computer just find so long as the parameters are right for your fuel injectors. I have a ram computer in my dakota for the 5.9 I just had swaped in.

RalphP 01-18-2018 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Toby Warford (Post 3375333)
if you want performance you'll want to get a 96 harness and computer and switch to obd2. Them contact Ryan Hogan aka Flyin Ryan performance and let him have his hand at it. He is the best mopar tuner there is hands down for a magnum engine. You can use a ram computer just find so long as the parameters are right for your fuel injectors. I have a ram computer in my dakota for the 5.9 I just had swaped in.

This.

However, that's a bit more than just "swap the ECU" out; before you jump into that, grab a copy of the 1996 FSM (from the FAQ here) and find a copy of the FSM for your current truck to cross verify all the wiring differences.

(There's enough to my 1988 that I'd do MUCH better grabbing a 1996 donor that runs. At which point, the question becomes, why not just run the 1996 and mothball the 1988? That's a good question, and one reason why I haven't jumped on to that yet *grins* )

RwP

onemore94dak 01-18-2018 06:45 PM

This is an interesting discussion.
This may be slightly off topic but Ralph you said the 93/92 have smaller injectors. If I got a 93 computer and put smaller injectors in would that improve mileage? Or just put smaller injectors in with the OE PCM?
Edit- I currently have reman injectors from here http://www.fuelinjector.citymaker.co...25/4735745.htm