1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Rust removal by electrolysis

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 10:17 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Rust removal by electrolysis

Thought I would post some pictures.....
FWIW, Im in the middle of attempting to install a ford 8.8 rear in my truck. If it all works out, latter I will post pictures etc, of that, as well as my NV3500 conversion.
But for now, just wanted to show everybody this.

This first picture is the piece that is riveted to the frame and holds the shocks.

These next two pictures are of my highly sophisticated electrolysis machine!!

That's it!! I took a trashcan, filled it with water and about a half box of "arm & hammer, washing soda" I got mine at my local wal-mart. Its with the laundry detergents etc. Cost less then $4.00 for a 55oz box.
You simply hook the part you want to clean to the negative cable. Hook the positive to a piece of bare steel, ie, not galv, painted, etc. Then just turn the charger on and wait 8 hrs or so.
I can supply more details if anyone is interested.

Here is the part when it comes out.

And here is the part after a quick wire brushing

Want to give a thanks to Tbugden for pointing me in this direction!!

If there is any interest, I can add other pictures, answer questions, etc.

Old 10-11-2017, 12:23 PM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Well done! That's a much bigger setup than mine, good to see it still works awesome when scaled up! Friends thought about putting frames into a swimming pool and using electrolysis but that's probably a bit too big to be feasible. ...hahaha.

Good job.

Old 10-11-2017, 03:27 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by tbugden
Well done! That's a much bigger setup than mine, good to see it still works awesome when scaled up! Friends thought about putting frames into a swimming pool and using electrolysis but that's probably a bit too big to be feasible. ...hahaha.

Good job.

Hey, thanks again!!

I was really trying to figure a way to put the rails from the cab back...... But as you said, its just not too feasible.

BTW do you know if it would damage a chrome bumper? Dont want to hurt the chrome, but would like to get the rust on the back side.....

Old 10-11-2017, 03:58 PM
tbugden
All Star

I'm not sure about that to be honest. I doubt it would do anything because chrome is so freaking stout that I can't imagine it would be affected by a small amount of current conducted through water. Can't say for sure though.

Old 10-11-2017, 04:24 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

I'm not sure about that to be honest. I doubt it would do anything because chrome is so freaking stout that I can't imagine it would be affected by a small amount of current conducted through water. Can't say for sure though.

I didnt know....... I think chrome is basically an electrolysis procedure.... My luck, Id pull the chrome right off!!!
For the rest of the frame, Im thinking to wire brush with a 4in grinder, then sealing it with por-15, What do you think?

BTW, I ordered 30 flanged grade 8 bolts, and flanged nuts to put the spring hangers, bracing etc. back on. Then I plan to use loc-tite.

Old 10-11-2017, 09:40 PM
tbugden
All Star

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop

I didnt know....... I think chrome is basically an electrolysis procedure.... My luck, Id pull the chrome right off!!!
For the rest of the frame, Im thinking to wire brush with a 4in grinder, then sealing it with por-15, What do you think?

BTW, I ordered 30 flanged grade 8 bolts, and flanged nuts to put the spring hangers, bracing etc. back on. Then I plan to use loc-tite.
I think I'm wrong! A quick Google confirms your doubt that electrolysis is not safe for chrome. My bad.

Fine idea for the frame. Exactly what I did but I used epoxy primer. It turned out well but I wouldn't claim that it's any better than POR-15.

And good idea with the bolts and loctite. I would've done it that way of I were to do it again instead of using non flanged bolts and washers.

You got some work ahead of you, keep posting updates if you can!

Old 10-15-2017, 08:02 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

OK, This picture is of the frame rails, cab rearward, cleaned up. I ended up wire brushing, and cleaned the old rust proofing off with gas, etc. Washed and getting ready to apply por-15.

Old 10-15-2017, 08:05 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

BTW, here is why you should wear gloves using a 4in grinder.

Old 10-16-2017, 08:09 AM
tbugden
All Star

Looks good! (not your thumb) Are you using POR Metal Ready before the POR-15?

Old 10-16-2017, 10:37 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

Looks good! (not your thumb) Are you using POR Metal Ready before the POR-15?

Just got through using what they called por-15 metal prep. It smells like the alum. wheel cleaners. Its some form of metal etching acid. Hosed it down, Dried it off, and will let it dry in the garage for a day. I turned the heat to 80.
Hopefully, early in the morning I will brush on a coat!!