1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

cam timing

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 10:49 PM
cruzer55
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam timing

Yes,to a few motors.It's just a bit more TLC that the cam& crank triggers get closer function with each other,Then the PCM -computer can really wake up the motor.109 degree is the number.U TUBE and instruction with the wheel guide you.it's strait forward,easy too follow.As a rule with all motors I build,degree of the cam is important enough to do beside lining up the dots.Just a thought..................................

Old 10-13-2017, 10:40 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Replacing the old, worn out, sloppy timing chain on my 96 ram was one of THE BEST improvements in driveability. Major change in the engines personality.

Old 10-13-2017, 10:47 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Replacing the old, worn out, sloppy timing chain on my 96 ram was one of THE BEST improvements in driveability. Major change in the engines personality.
This.

I also added the tensioner mentioned in the TSB; helps keep the cam timing coherent as the parts age.

RwP

Old 10-13-2017, 10:52 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Originally Posted by RalphP
This.

I also added the tensioner mentioned in the TSB; helps keep the cam timing coherent as the parts age.

RwP
Gotta be careful with that though. The tensioner is designed for use with the morse style chain, it has lots of surface area for the tensioner to ride on. I went with a double roller chain, and I suspect that would eat up the shoe on the tensioner is pretty short order, so, I didn't install one.

Old 10-13-2017, 04:51 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

Gotta be careful with that though. The tensioner is designed for use with the morse style chain, it has lots of surface area for the tensioner to ride on. I went with a double roller chain, and I suspect that would eat up the shoe on the tensioner is pretty short order, so, I didn't install one.
I'll let you know the next time I open up the timing chain cover since I went with the double roller and the tensioner when I did mine.

Old 10-13-2017, 06:06 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

It might, but I have about 64,000 miles on mine.

RwP