1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

cam timing

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 12:53 AM
slowauto
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question cam timing

I have a 96 3.9 that needs a new timing chain. Has anyone had experience with advancing or retarding the cam and if so what was the out come ?? Read an article on it years ago but cant remember the advantages brought about with the changes. Thanks, Terry

Old 10-12-2017, 06:14 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by slowauto
I have a 96 3.9 that needs a new timing chain. Has anyone had experience with advancing or retarding the cam and if so what was the out come ?? Read an article on it years ago but cant remember the advantages brought about with the changes. Thanks, Terry

In general, advance will help low end power, and retard will help high end power. That being said, assuming everything else is stock, I would install straight up, no additional advance or retard. I would think that mopar picked the best position to place the camshaft timing, again for a stock vehicle. But of course, this is just my opinion.

Old 10-12-2017, 11:43 AM
Toby Warford
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop

In general, advance will help low end power, and retard will help high end power. That being said, assuming everything else is stock, I would install straight up, no additional advance or retard. I would think that mopar picked the best position to place the camshaft timing, again for a stock vehicle. But of course, this is just my opinion.
except on a dakota doing any adjustments at the timkng chain will yield nought. The timing is controlled by the computer. 0 gains to be had here. Timing can be adjusted however by notching the crank sensor towards the passengerside wheel well. With mixed results.

Old 10-12-2017, 12:10 PM
slowauto
Default cam timing

Excellent. I forgot about computer controls. Ran into that problem on an 87 I had. Had not thought about changing the position of the crank sensor ! I forgot to add my 96 is stock with about 180,000 miles. No issues other that the timing chain rattle. Thanks, Terry

Old 10-12-2017, 01:06 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Toby Warford
except on a dakota doing any adjustments at the timkng chain will yield nought. The timing is controlled by the computer. 0 gains to be had here. Timing can be adjusted however by notching the crank sensor towards the passengerside wheel well. With mixed results.

Thats not true. The ignition timing is controlled by the computer. Not the cam timing.

Old 10-12-2017, 03:02 PM
slowauto
Default cam timing

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop

Thats not true. The ignition timing is controlled by the computer. Not the cam timing.
Ah ha, a difference of opinion. So advancing or retarding the cam in my case should make a change in engine performance even though the ignition timing is computer controlled ??

Old 10-12-2017, 03:20 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by slowauto
Ah ha, a difference of opinion. So advancing or retarding the cam in my case should make a change in engine performance even though the ignition timing is computer controlled ??

Not an opinion, a fact!!

If you look at the adjustable crank sprocket, it will be marked 0. -4 or +4 degrees. When using these keyways, it physically changes the camshaft to crankshaft position. This physically changes the point at which the valves open and close in relation to the piston.
Again, cam timing is not the same as ignition timing.
Ignition timing controls when the spark plugs fire based on piston position in the cylinder. Now this can and is controlled by the computer

Old 10-12-2017, 04:16 PM
slowauto

Cool. Now back to my original question. 180,000 miles, no other issues, would it be advantageous to advance the cam 2 degrees since I have to change the chain and gears anyway. Thanks, Terry

Old 10-12-2017, 04:45 PM
cruzer55
Veteran
Default cam timing

For the labor your doing,beg borrow buy a degree wheel and re- d gree the cam.It will surprise you in the added performance.Just a thought................

Old 10-12-2017, 08:25 PM
slowauto

Thanks for the info. Have you done this on a used motor and what was the outcome ?? Thanks, Terry