1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

42RE/A500 behind a 5.2

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 09:07 PM
HotelCarolina
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 42RE/A500 behind a 5.2

Hey everybody. So I'm currently in the process of rebuilding a 5.2 Magnum for my '95 Dakota. I want to drop it into my truck, but I want to keep my stock 42re V6 transmission behind it until I get the money for the 44re which I know is the proper transmission. One thing I'd like to mention is that my 42re was fully rebuilt about 10,000 miles ago. Will the HP and torque gains from the 5.2 tear my tranny to shreds or will it be able to last a month or 2 until I get a new tranny. Of course driving it carefully and not mashing it everywhere I go will help it survive for a while but knowing myself, I'm gonna have to do a couple pulls every once in a while. I know I will be told that if it is not what Dodge designed it for, then it will not last long, which I agree but if anyone has actually done it then give me your 2¢. Thanks in advance.

Old 10-16-2017, 08:31 AM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HotelCarolina
Hey everybody. So I'm currently in the process of rebuilding a 5.2 Magnum for my '95 Dakota. I want to drop it into my truck, but I want to keep my stock 42re V6 transmission behind it until I get the money for the 44re which I know is the proper transmission. One thing I'd like to mention is that my 42re was fully rebuilt about 10,000 miles ago. Will the HP and torque gains from the 5.2 tear my tranny to shreds or will it be able to last a month or 2 until I get a new tranny. Of course driving it carefully and not mashing it everywhere I go will help it survive for a while but knowing myself, I'm gonna have to do a couple pulls every once in a while. I know I will be told that if it is not what Dodge designed it for, then it will not last long, which I agree but if anyone has actually done it then give me your 2¢. Thanks in advance.
Depends on the build of your 5.2. How much HP? If it's just a fairly stock 5.2 you'll probably be ok for the few months you run it.

Also you'll be wanting a 46re not 44re....the 44 series were jeep based. The v8 dakotas had a 46re.

FYI I rebuilt my a500 on my 400hp 5.9L and it's held up fine. But I did use performance parts and swapped out the internal hard parts with v8 parts.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:43 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

No experience with it, but if it was mine,I would run it on a stock 5.2. When I do a search online of the 42re, it appears it was used behind some v-8's
Also, it may help to extend the life if a shift kit was installed as well as a aux. cooler.
What do you plan to run for a converter? IMO a stock or near stock would probably keep the transmission alive longer.

Old 10-16-2017, 11:35 AM
HotelCarolina

Originally Posted by robertmee
Depends on the build of your 5.2. How much HP? If it's just a fairly stock 5.2 you'll probably be ok for the few months you run it.

Also you'll be wanting a 46re not 44re....the 44 series were jeep based. The v8 dakotas had a 46re.

FYI I rebuilt my a500 on my 400hp 5.9L and it's held up fine. But I did use performance parts and swapped out the internal hard parts with v8 parts.
Right now I'm doing just a stock rebuild on the 5.2. No performance parts or anything until I get a new tranny. As for what you did, what V8 parts did you use? Sounds like a better option than buying a whole new transmission.

Old 10-16-2017, 11:43 AM
HotelCarolina

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop
No experience with it, but if it was mine,I would run it on a stock 5.2. When I do a search online of the 42re, it appears it was used behind some v-8's
Also, it may help to extend the life if a shift kit was installed as well as a aux. cooler.
What do you plan to run for a converter? IMO a stock or near stock would probably keep the transmission alive longer.
Yep that's what I've heard. Some 42s have been used behind the 5.2 but from searches on dodge/jeep forums, people are saying you'll blow the thing up from the power of the 5.2 which always confused me. For the converter, can I swap in a V8 converter and it'll be good? And a trans cooler sounds like a good idea as well.

Old 10-16-2017, 11:45 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

If you are going to rebuild a trans anyway, just get a 46 from the scrap yard, and go thru it. They can be had for a song, and parts are plentiful.

Old 10-16-2017, 12:08 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by HotelCarolina
Yep that's what I've heard. Some 42s have been used behind the 5.2 but from searches on dodge/jeep forums, people are saying you'll blow the thing up from the power of the 5.2 which always confused me. For the converter, can I swap in a V8 converter and it'll be good? And a trans cooler sounds like a good idea as well.

I would think you would need to keep a 42re converter, What I was trying to say was stay away from an aftermarket high stall converter. I believe that would put more stress on the transmission. BTW dont forget that you will need the 5.2 flexplate.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:13 AM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

nope the converter wont work from a 42 to a 46 series... input on back of converter is larger on the 46.
on a 42 vs a 44 series set the 2 next to each other and you wont see a difference. Identical from the outside. only difference is a couple more clutches within the transmission. now the 46 is a little different, giveaway as to whether it is a 46 or not is a slight difference in pan.
yes the 42 or 44 will live behind a V8 if you drive it somewhat sanely. They put many trucks together from the factory that way! Not all V8s came with the 46,