1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1989 Dakota ABS module...

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 11:21 AM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by onemore94dak
I'll admit I did not notice this there yesterday but its there right now at the top of the list http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/d...ol+module,1844
The abs module is tucked behind the glove box on the passenger side front kick panel...crawl under the dash and look up and right.

Also there is a speed sensor for the abs unit..
it's on the rear differential and connects to the rear abs hydraulic valve.

Old 10-19-2017, 05:31 PM
Kafka45
Amateur

Originally Posted by robertmee
The abs module is tucked behind the glove box on the passenger side front kick panel...crawl under the dash and look up and right.

Also there is a speed sensor for the abs unit..
it's on the rear differential and connects to the rear abs hydraulic valve.
yep.....there it is....in the most inaccessible spot one can imagine. I've found that abs speed sensor unit too... the reason I don't think that's the problem is the symptoms of it failing aren't happening
I'll have to remove the glove box to get to the abs module...... why put it there is beyond me. All this to try and get the anti lock/ parking brake lights to go off....... ah well.

thanks...

Old 10-19-2017, 05:34 PM
Toby Warford
Banned

Originally Posted by Kafka45
yep.....there it is....in the most inaccessible spot one can imagine. I've found that abs speed sensor unit too... the reason I don't think that's the problem is the symptoms of it failing aren't happening
I'll have to remove the glove box to get to the abs module...... why put it there is beyond me. All this to try and get the anti lock/ parking brake lights to go off....... ah well.

thanks...
there arent any symptoms. Abs either works or it doesn't. For the third time what you think happens when the abs sensor on the axle goes bad doesn't happen.

Old 10-19-2017, 05:56 PM
CocaColaDodge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pull the dash and the instrument cluster, and pull the bulb... issue fixed lol. just kidding, if you were to do that, you would have another light come on.

Old 10-19-2017, 06:35 PM
Kafka45
Amateur

Originally Posted by Toby Warford
there arent any symptoms. Abs either works or it doesn't. For the third time what you think happens when the abs sensor on the axle goes bad doesn't happen.
ok..ok.. Not trying to sound thick. I only said that because I had read of "light" fixes, and there were tach issues and etc that supposedly occurred and replacing that unit solved the whole list.
I found the module....... that's good enough for now.

Old 10-19-2017, 08:35 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

Have you tried to clear the PCM of codes to see if it comes back? disconnect battery for 5-10 minutes.

Old 10-19-2017, 10:51 PM
Kafka45
Amateur

Originally Posted by onemore94dak
Have you tried to clear the PCM of codes to see if it comes back? disconnect battery for 5-10 minutes.
yes.. and time to kill this thread..... I'm looking dumber by every read.

thanks

Old 10-20-2017, 12:40 AM
Toby Warford
Banned

ok..ok.. Not trying to sound thick. I only said that because I had read of "light" fixes, and there were tach issues and etc that supposedly occurred and replacing that unit solved the whole list.
I found the module....... that's good enough for now.
that's for 2nd gen Dakota's, not ours. You could unplug the sensor on the rear axle and never notice anything different in driving it besides a light on the dash. You're not dumb, you justdont know. But if youd read ALL the replies, you could learn a lot.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:48 AM
robertmee
Record Breaker

yes.. and time to kill this thread..... I'm looking dumber by every read.

thanks
if the ABS light is on you can ground the test plug and the ABS light will flash a code. You'll see a single black wire come down from the ABS controller to a plug not connected to anything with a single spade connector. Using a jumper wire momentarily ground this plug and the ABS light will blink a number of times. I've posted the codes in a couple of threads on here. If you can't find them post here and I'll look them up. But do the test first and find out the number of blinks.