1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Installing a 8.8 explorer rear in a dakota

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 02:28 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Installing a 8.8 explorer rear in a dakota

For the past 2+ months, in my spare time, I have been installing a 2000 explorer 8.8 rear in my 87 dakota.
Still have to figure out parking brake cables, connect brake line to the front, etc. I got a conversion u-joint.....
Have to reinstall gas tank, exhaust, hitch, wire loom, and of course the bed.
Hopefully will finish up this weekend, provided work, life, etc. dont get in the way!!
Once finished I will post more pictures, and details.
But wanted to share a couple of pictures of what I have done so far!

Old 11-16-2017, 09:27 PM
marcar1993
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I commend your work. I have a mustang 8.8 in my g body cutlass.

Old 11-17-2017, 07:00 AM
robertmee
Record Breaker

Sexy!

Old 11-17-2017, 11:51 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

Hey guys,
thanks for the input!!
I had purchased this rear several years ago for another project, but that fell through.
Its a 3.55 ratio, my 8.25 was a 3.54. But the 8.25 had rusted backing plates, leaking seal, bad wheel bearing on one side, and the posi unit was wore out.
This unit is not a posi., for now, I just replaced the 2 outer wheel seals, rebuilt the calipers, new hoses, rotors, brake shoes, and pads.
If all works well, eventually I will put a factory posi unit in it.
One of the good things with the 8.8, parts are cheap. The factory posi is just over $200.00

Old 11-19-2017, 09:45 AM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

the "posi" for an 8-1/4 (actually a Track lok) isn't that expensive either. neither is any of what else you said was wrong with the original rear, worst case you ask the yard for a "core" rearend and swap the good parts over. last time I needed a rear end I went to a U pull and got one for my Cherokee (also an 8-1/4) for $60. Yeah I had to pull it but for that kind of price I didn't mind.
on 3.55/3.54 not enough difference to notice. I have seen trucks with 3.55 rear/3.54 front on a 4X4.

Old 11-19-2017, 09:54 AM
marcar1993
Captain

A great option is your posi is sloppy is to get the 03-04 cobra clutch packs. They are very aggressive, and you can put them in alternating clutch/steel (factory sets 2 steel against eachother so its not too harsh), then jamb in one of your old clutches. It makes a very tight posi unit for cheap, that still will slip going around a corner.

Old 11-20-2017, 09:03 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by volaredon
the "posi" for an 8-1/4 (actually a Track lok) isn't that expensive either. neither is any of what else you said was wrong with the original rear, worst case you ask the yard for a "core" rearend and swap the good parts over. last time I needed a rear end I went to a U pull and got one for my Cherokee (also an 8-1/4) for $60. Yeah I had to pull it but for that kind of price I didn't mind.
on 3.55/3.54 not enough difference to notice. I have seen trucks with 3.55 rear/3.54 front on a 4X4.

This was my experience on pricing parts.
1. dana carrier on rock auto for a 87 dakota. $440.00 + shipping. Ford racing. 31 spline carrier's are available from several places for $229.00 shipped.
2. Backing plates, cant find any new one's and used are rare in good condition. Mine actually have rust holes in them.
3. Wheel bearings, seals, brake shoes, wheel cyl. I feel sure are available at a reasonable price.
4. In my area, first gen dakota's are rare in the junkyards.
I believe the posi carrier, in my truck, was used from 96 back. (at least according to rock auto site)
Backing plates, I have no idea what all will interchange.
Axles are good only for 87-90.

Reasons I choose to try a 8.8 rear.
1. Already had the rear end. Purchased it for another project several years back and that fell through.
2. The 8.8 is stronger then the 8.25
3. Axles are a larger dia. and are 31 spline vs. 27.
4. Overall, I believe parts are cheaper, and more available.
5. Has disc brakes. ( and I know this blessing could turn out to be a curse!! but time will tell)
6. To try something different!

This truck is not a daily driver. In fact, it has 83,xxx miles on it.
I have already upgraded the transmission from the nv2500 to a nv3500 and in time, I plan to put a 5.9 mag. with some mods in it.

Did it "need" a 8.8 rear? No,
At the end of the day, I probably did not save much, assuming I found good backing plates,
I believe I will have a better rear end.... but time will tell.
At this point, its a toy, and I just playing.....

Old 11-20-2017, 09:27 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by marcar1993
A great option is your posi is sloppy is to get the 03-04 cobra clutch packs. They are very aggressive, and you can put them in alternating clutch/steel (factory sets 2 steel against eachother so its not too harsh), then jamb in one of your old clutches. It makes a very tight posi unit for cheap, that still will slip going around a corner.

Thanks for the pointers!! But mine actually has the open rearend in it now. Im going to leave it for now, and make sure the rear works well in the truck, ie. disc brakes, pinion angle set correctly, etc.
The carrier I am looking at is this. https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-FORD-RA...5Wi-pV&vxp=mtr
Says its orig. equipment in 03-04 31 spline cobra's
FWIW the only thing I seen wrong with the 8.8 rear I have was , 1 wheel seal was starting to leak , and the parking brake shoes were shot. I though the rotors were wore out, but turns out that what I thought was wear, is actually the way they were made. I did rebuild both calipers, new pads, shoes, rotors, and 2 seals.

On your g body conversion, Did you make it up yourself? Looks good!! I noticed you welded the tubes in as well.

Old 11-21-2017, 09:52 AM
marcar1993
Captain

I did a lot of it myself, but for control arms and relocation brackets I went with trick chassis as there is some serious geometry to rework since the cars has a 4 link setup. Bolt in their brackets yoy the frame and use their control arms to make up for some misalignment and correcting instant center.

I often wish my g body was leaf sprung. It would have been far simpler to swap with no geometry issues to worry about.