1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

ABS and Brake light won’t go out

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 07:36 PM
Josephrking
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS and Brake light won’t go out

Hey guys first time posting here!

This has got to be one of the best forums I have ever seen. There is so much info on here is awesome!

alright now to my question...

so I just purchased a 93 Dakota with the 3.9 and 5 speed. I literally paid $200 for this truck and it’s fantastic!

My problem is the abs and brake lights are on and I can’t seem to find out why. I have read through this forum and I changed the abs speed sensor already and bought a abs relay for under the hood but I’m starting to think I don’t even need it because I have the 2 wheel abs I believe..

so does anyone else have an idea on what it might be? Maybe the abs module? Or the connector and wires?

Thanks guys!

joe

Old 12-13-2017, 07:54 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

How's the fluid level?

Old 12-13-2017, 12:28 PM
Josephrking
Rookie

Originally Posted by jkeaton
How's the fluid level?
fluid looks good

Old 12-13-2017, 12:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Yeah, the rear ABS on the fullsize trucks was pretty much pointless..... May have to have codes read to see what the system is whining about.

Old 12-13-2017, 12:34 PM
Josephrking
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Yeah, the rear ABS on the fullsize trucks was pretty much pointless..... May have to have codes read to see what the system is whining about.
is it possible for a abs scanner to read this? It’s a 93. I’m thinking about doing the brakes maybe see if that’s what it is.

Old 12-13-2017, 12:37 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

ABS doesn't care about anything mechanical in the brake system, so long as the brakes are working good, that ain't gonna fix it. (however, if it needs brakes anyway, don't let me discourage you from doing it. )

Yours is OBDI..... so, I don't know if the parts stores will have anything that can read it, let alone abs codes.... There *might* be a way to convince it to flash codes at you, by just grounding or shorting a couple terminals in the OBD port, but, not sure which ones. (the information should be out there somewhere.......)

Old 12-13-2017, 12:53 PM
Josephrking
Rookie

ABS doesn't care about anything mechanical in the brake system, so long as the brakes are working good, that ain't gonna fix it. (however, if it needs brakes anyway, don't let me discourage you from doing it. )

Yours is OBDI..... so, I don't know if the parts stores will have anything that can read it, let alone abs codes.... There *might* be a way to convince it to flash codes at you, by just grounding or shorting a couple terminals in the OBD port, but, not sure which ones. (the information should be out there somewhere.......)
yeah I seen that in the forums about grounding it out and it’ll flash codes. Guess I’ll have to try that this weekend. Other than the abs issue, for $200 I can’t conplain about this truck. Getting decent gas mileage, think I’m gonna change the o2 sensor see if that helps. Thanks everyone for the replies.

Old 12-13-2017, 01:09 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

May wanna put some air in the tire too.

Old 12-13-2017, 03:49 PM
Josephrking
Rookie

May wanna put some air in the tire too.

hahaha yeah tires are all aired up now lol.

does anyone know where the actual abs module is?
I’ve read it’s under the glove box, also seen it’s next to coolant overflow, can anyone possibly clarify where it actually is on a 93 3.9?

Thanks

Old 12-15-2017, 11:13 AM
Josephrking
Rookie

Well I thought it fixed itself this morning lights went out for a couple miles but then came back on if only I could be so lucky!!

Quick Reply: ABS and Brake light won’t go out