1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

warm weather and brake binding problems

Old 05-22-2019, 01:19 AM
glenlloyd
Veteran
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default warm weather and brake binding problems

Well we've got warmer weather here (or did for a while) and with that I've not had some issues with front calipers binding.

First it was the left, I noticed on the way from dumping yard debris that the truck was pulling to the left, I had to hold the wheel harder, then shortly later on I noticed that it had shifted and the right was the one that seemed to be sticking. Then just before getting home I started to smell the stink of ceramic brake pads burning and sure enough my wheels were pretty warm when I got home.

First thought, since both calipers acted oddly, was that it was the MC, but after searching and reading online I get the impression that people seem to think it's a problem with calipers...which seems contrary to me.

I am curious to hear what others have to contribute, if I need to get a new MC would like to get on it fast, I have more debris I need to move in the next couple months and need this truck working.

Thanks guy
Steve

Old 05-22-2019, 06:25 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Hey Steve,

Something I would do is, pull the front wheels, pump the brake pedal a few times, then with the brake pedal RELEASED, crack open the bleeder and see if you get a small spurt of fluid. If you do, its likely the brake hoses are collapsing on the inside.... thus causing the caliper to have some pressure on it with the brakes released.
Also, I would go ahead and clean the caliper slides and lubricate with caliper grease.

Good luck, and let us know what you find is causing it.

Old 05-22-2019, 06:26 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

I had this same issue, It was the brake line. I live in the rust belt and the metal brackets used to keep it in place rusted up so much it was crushing the hose. When you hit the brake the caliper would hold the pressure. When your caliper sticks release the bleeder valve and see it the pressure come out. If so it's probable the lines.

Old 05-22-2019, 12:10 PM
glenlloyd
Veteran

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop
Hey Steve,

Something I would do is, pull the front wheels, pump the brake pedal a few times, then with the brake pedal RELEASED, crack open the bleeder and see if you get a small spurt of fluid. If you do, its likely the brake hoses are collapsing on the inside.... thus causing the caliper to have some pressure on it with the brakes released.
Also, I would go ahead and clean the caliper slides and lubricate with caliper grease.

Good luck, and let us know what you find is causing it.
Originally Posted by Moparite
I had this same issue, It was the brake line. I live in the rust belt and the metal brackets used to keep it in place rusted up so much it was crushing the hose. When you hit the brake the caliper would hold the pressure. When your caliper sticks release the bleeder valve and see it the pressure come out. If so it's probable the lines.
Hey guys
Thanks for the responses, I should have been better at suppying more information.

All new lines front to rear except for short rear axle lines which aren't rotted out.
All new hoses front and rear hose too.
Fluid flush 3500 miles ago before winter, and nothing odd before the weather turned.

The only original pieces still remaining are the small lines up top near the MC, which obviously weren't all rotted out, the MC and the front calipers plus the rear lines at the axle that I already mentioned.

Also, the pads were installed with reasonable amount of slider lube and I saw no binding on the caliper sliders.

I had a similar experience with the B250 years ago, hadn't thought about that, but I did replace both calipers on the van, don't remember if the problem was with both sides though, it was many years ago.

It just seems odd on the Dakota that both sides would bind like this unless it was an MC issue but who knows. I've also read online that people have replaced calipers and it happens again in a very unreasonable amount of time, say less than a year.

Thanks for comments guys!

Steve

Old 05-22-2019, 01:22 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

When I bought mine almost 6 years ago the right front was doing that. I replaced both calipers no problems since. I ended up doing the soft lines later.
You might just rebuild the caliper? Could be something internal had worn out.

Old 05-22-2019, 11:57 PM
glenlloyd
Veteran

Originally Posted by onemore94dak
When I bought mine almost 6 years ago the right front was doing that. I replaced both calipers no problems since. I ended up doing the soft lines later.
You might just rebuild the caliper? Could be something internal had worn out.
I'm thinking that might be the best course of action now, to replace both calipers. Since I recalled that years ago the B250 did the same thing I'll give that a shot first.

I don't believe that rebuilding the calipers I have is worth the effort when new ones can be had for around $20 each. IIRC when I replaced them on the van years ago the remans were around $15.

Thanks again

Steve

Old 05-23-2019, 06:09 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Steve, This is a long shot, but by chance, is the truck 2wd? If so, is the bearing too tight? There needs to be a slight amount of play and that lets the caliper on the slides move slightly to release brake drag. The other thing I would check is the rear brakes to make sure they are adjusted up and not allowing the front to do all the work....
These are long shots, but I believe you are correct... most likely its sticking calipers.
Good luck and let us know what you find.

Old 05-23-2019, 01:02 PM
glenlloyd
Veteran

Yep, 2wd truck. The front wheel bearings have been set appropriately and when I did all the brake work last fall there was no sign of any dragging at all. I was particularly concerned about that since both my prior Dakotas got warped rotors at less than 50k miles and they shouldn't do that. I can't see that the rears are a problem but it would seem to me that regardless of rear braking action that the front calipers only move so far to engage brakes and when the pedal releases the fluid has a clear path to return to the reservoir. The only way that woulnd't happen is if the caliper piston was sticking, but why first the left was binding and then the right I have no idea, that's why I initially suspected that it might be the MC.

I'm still thinking that it has to be sticking calipers but I would not rule out a brake MC problem.

Steve

Old 05-25-2019, 10:34 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

I can't see that the rears are a problem but it would seem to me that regardless of rear braking action that the front calipers only move so far to engage brakes and when the pedal releases the fluid has a clear path to return to the reservoir. The only way that woulnd't happen is if the caliper piston was sticking, but why first the left was binding and then the right I have no idea,
When the caliper sticks release the bleeder and see if fluid comes out under pressure. This will tell you it's a hydraulic problem not a sticking caliper piston. After doing so and the caliper doesn't release from the rotor then try moving the pad's/piston away from the rotor. If it doesn't want to move then the calipers are the problem.

Old 07-23-2019, 12:24 PM
glenlloyd
Veteran

Ended up replacing the calipers, problem is gone for the time being.

Steve

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: warm weather and brake binding problems