Oxygen Sensor - DodgeForum.com

Notices
1st Gen Dakota '96 & Older Dakota's
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Oxygen Sensor

Reply

 
 
 
  #1  
Old 12-31-2017, 06:51 PM
bronze
bronze is offline
Rookie
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 64
Default Oxygen Sensor

Anyone know where the O2 sensor is located on a '93 Dodge Dakota, 5.2L. My gas mileage has tailed off over the last year. I've done lots of maintenance work the past several months that I would have expected to make a positive impact but mileage is still down. Wondering if my O2 sensor might need cleaning or replacing. Not that I will because I know they're a pain to remove but I'm thinking about it anyway. Might depend on how accessible it is.
 
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-31-2017, 07:38 PM
RalphP
RalphP is offline
Record Breaker
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Northwest Louisiana
Posts: 2,105
Default

It's on the Y pipe; should be right before the Y on the passenger side, but may be right after.

Added: For a visual go to someplace like RockAuto, look up the Y pipe for a 94, and see where the bung is. Can't look up the 93; it's NLA it appears due to being a larger size than later Y pipes.

Cable goes up to the firewall (where the plug it plugs into drapes out of the wiring harness).

Pro tip: Heat the exhaust up, then cut the wires and use an BFH, an impact deep throat socket, and a breakover bar on the O2 sensor. And don't clean it, replace it. Especially if it's the original one.

Then use the old wires (tied to the plug on the new O2 sensor) to pull the wires up to the plug in the wiring harness.

I'll add that you should stick to a OEM (Mopar) or NTK O2 sensor; there can be problems with some of the replacements.

RwP
 
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-31-2017, 07:44 PM
bronze
bronze is offline
Rookie
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 64
Default

Originally Posted by RalphP View Post
It's on the Y pipe; should be right before the Y on the passenger side, but may be right after.

Added: For a visual go to someplace like RockAuto, look up the Y pipe for a 94, and see where the bung is. Can't look up the 93; it's NLA it appears due to being a larger size than later Y pipes.

Cable goes up to the firewall (where the plug it plugs into drapes out of the wiring harness).

Pro tip: Heat the exhaust up, then cut the wires and use an BFH, an impact deep throat socket, and a breakover bar on the O2 sensor. And don't clean it, replace it. Especially if it's the original one.

Then use the old wires (tied to the plug on the new O2 sensor) to pull the wires up to the plug in the wiring harness.

I'll add that you should stick to a OEM (Mopar) or NTK O2 sensor; there can be problems with some of the replacements.

RwP
Good tips and advice Ralph. Thanks. Yes, I will stay with Mopar for sure. I see my Advanced Auto carries Bosch which has always been a good brand but I'd still prefer Mopar. And you're right, replacing would be better than cleaning. All the crap you go thru to get to it and get it off may as well replace it and I'll never have to worry about it again.
 
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-01-2018, 08:47 AM
bronze
bronze is offline
Rookie
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 64
Default

I believe NGK (NTK) is the OEM for Mopar? No?
 
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-01-2018, 09:31 AM
HeyYou's Avatar
HeyYou
HeyYou is offline
Super Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Clayton MI
Posts: 51,025
Default

NTK or Denso seem to work fine, Bosch.... not so much.
 
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-05-2018, 09:18 PM
bronze
bronze is offline
Rookie
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 64
Default

My local Advanced Auto Parts sells the NTK. They will also loan me the tool to get the old one off so I don't have to buy one. I have a good amount of tools but nothing like what I'll need for this once or twice in a lifetime job.

I've been laying low waiting for this cold crap to move on out. Not into working on autos while freezing my azz off. Warmer on Monday so I'll crawl under then and have a look-see.
 
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-05-2018, 09:28 PM
onemore94dak
onemore94dak is offline
Record Breaker
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,389
Default

I believe a 3/4 end wrench works or whatever the metric equivalent is.
 
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-06-2018, 10:37 AM
HeyYou's Avatar
HeyYou
HeyYou is offline
Super Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Clayton MI
Posts: 51,025
Default

I used a 20" pipe wrench, and a big hammer to get it to let loose.
 
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-09-2018, 07:52 AM
Josephrking
Josephrking is offline
Rookie
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 76
Default

Originally Posted by HeyYou View Post
NTK or Denso seem to work fine, Bosch.... not so much.
Good to know. Iím gonna be changing mine this weekend on a 93.
 
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-09-2018, 07:53 AM
Josephrking
Josephrking is offline
Rookie
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 76
Default

Originally Posted by bronze View Post
My local Advanced Auto Parts sells the NTK. They will also loan me the tool to get the old one off so I don't have to buy one. I have a good amount of tools but nothing like what I'll need for this once or twice in a lifetime job.

I've been laying low waiting for this cold crap to move on out. Not into working on autos while freezing my azz off. Warmer on Monday so I'll crawl under then and have a look-see.
Changed my spark plugs last week when it was -15 outside hahahah.I would take one plug out replace it then head inside for 10 min or so then keep repeating lol.
 

Last edited by Josephrking; 01-09-2018 at 07:56 AM.
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oxygen Sensor


Featured Sponsors

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: