1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1992 Dakota No TC Lockup, No OD

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2019, 11:09 PM
Dscotts
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 Dakota No TC Lockup, No OD

I have a '92 Dakota LE, reg cab, long bed, 2wd, 3.9l, auto, that was given to me. 98,000 and the body has zero rust. Paint, not so good. Interior is flawless. Both previous owners were elderly so no abuse, no strenuous duty.

TC Lockup does not work, OD does not work. {Cruise control doesn't work} Replaced: solenoids(changed fluid and filter tightened valve body bolts), VSS sensor, neutral safety switch, TPS, CTS and PCM. No luck.

Any ideas? This is a good truck, it needs the TCC and OD to function properly.

Old 09-23-2019, 11:20 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Well, first is, is the center wire of the 3 wire connector grounded?

Do you have the factory service manual? The 3/4 upshift not, well, upshifting is covered on page 21-78 of the 1992 manual; the transmission is the same, so I bet the 1995 manual linked in the FAQ here would help you (the 1996 moved to the RE family, so it'll be different for 1996.)

Page 21-83 has a list of possible causes for a no-TQ lockup.

As to the cruise - worry about that later.

Unless it's because the VSS signal isn't getting to the ECU, in which case, trace the VSS signal to the ECU and see why it's not getting there. Hint: Pull it, and chuck it in a small electric drill to drive it while looking for VSS pulses. (I cheat; a pulse generator from MPJA can be set to, say, 133Hz to give you almost 60MPH into the ECU to help it think it's going down the road at that speed. Said generator can be had for under $10 plus shipping ... https://www.mpja.com/Variable-Freque...tinfo/35478+TE ) Feed that signal into the VSS lines and look for the signal into the ECU.

RwP

Old 09-23-2019, 11:36 PM
Dscotts

Don't have a manual. I've read any and all information I can find on the system. The truck being nearly 30 years years old and having no initial investment, I decided to start replacing all of the system sensors. They we're all original and I saved them all.

Old 09-24-2019, 08:58 AM
Dscotts

I'm gonna down load the '95 manual and do some reading from it. My temp gauge is only coming up about 1/4 way in the range. Wondering if my thermostat could be stuck open. Heater puts out pretty warm/hot air. I know that the TC lock up won't engage until 140°. Does lock up have to occur before OD can be engaged?

Old 09-24-2019, 12:10 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

I'd also check the sending units (both!). I've got a Mr. Gasket radiator cap with a thermometer in it; I hit 195F on it while I'm sitting at about 11:00 on the internal gauge, so the internal is not one I'd put a lot of trust in. (That's why the Mr. Gasket cap, BTW ... )

If the heater is putting out hot air, the motor's probably getting close to target temps if it's a 180 or 195 in the motor now.

OD can be engaged independent of lockup; AAMOF, the logic has it unlocking the torque converter on light throttle before it shifts out of OD if the road speed is high enough.

The factory service manual for your 1992 can be had from places like Ebay for used paper, or a new CD with the PDF from the current publisher for Chrysler, Bishko Books ( http://www.autobooksbishko.com/ ) They're at about $40 ($36.something on sale, $40.something off) for that. It'd be well worth it to have one, IMO.

RwP

The following users liked this post:
Dscotts (09-25-2019)

Quick Reply: 1992 Dakota No TC Lockup, No OD