1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

95 dodge dakota won't start

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 06:46 PM
Annetta Walker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 95 dodge dakota won't start

Fuel pump intermittently loses power. Fuel pump replaced. Relay replaced. 3 wires to 1 was redone. If I pull the fuel pump relay out, I only have one hot wire till ignition is turned on and then the two across from each other has power. Anybody have any ideas.

Old 01-18-2018, 01:04 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Annetta Walker
Fuel pump intermittently loses power. Fuel pump replaced. Relay replaced. 3 wires to 1 was redone. If I pull the fuel pump relay out, I only have one hot wire till ignition is turned on and then the two across from each other has power. Anybody have any ideas.
The power action you're talking about (only one hot without power) actually sounds right; the common contact of the switched set is wired to fused 12V; but the coil is wired to the ignition switch (coil return is through the PCM).

Check section 8W-20, specifically page 8W-20-7, in the factory service manual (download link in the FAQ1 sticky of this subforum).

That will also show the connectors between the relay and the fuel pump; I'll bet one of those is going bad with age. Be worth chasing the wiring harness for it, anyway, IMO. And with the FSM telling you the wire insulation colors, and having the connector locations, it'll be easier to troubleshoot.

RwP

Old 01-18-2018, 08:54 PM
Annetta Walker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I couldn't figure out how to download the manual. Did I miss something?

Quick Reply: 95 dodge dakota won't start