1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Fuel lines

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 05:29 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RalphP
The bubble flares are to give you a "grip" for the rubber transition hoses at each end; they also sell a "flarer" that does the rim, or even three rims, in order to make a better seal. That's why you bubble flare them.

OTOH, I used two hose clamps spun 180* at each end when I did the repair laying under the Cougar on I-49 in Arkansas *grins*

RwP
No flares needed in my fuel setup...they make AN compression to barbed hose fitting...much better seal and grip than the single flare IMO. Granted the flare route is just as easy and probably cheaper but I liked the look of hard and braided lines with all the anodized fittings.

Old 01-24-2018, 10:52 AM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by robertmee
While I did flares for all my new brake lines, for fuel I used the compression AN fuel fittings on my steel lines. Worked great.
Read too quick and saw 'brake lines' and 'compression AN fittings' and my heart almost stopped. Haha.

I love the look of those fittings. Mine are just steel and nylon with barb fittings :-/ ugly.

Old 01-24-2018, 08:39 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by tbugden
Read too quick and saw 'brake lines' and 'compression AN fittings' and my heart almost stopped. Haha.

I love the look of those fittings. Mine are just steel and nylon with barb fittings :-/ ugly.
lol...I've done many stupid things but that wasn't one of them. I ran all new steel brake lines but I used the OEM in line flare tool for those. Out of 20+ flares only had 1 leak where I cracked the flare. Highly recommend that tool.

Old 01-24-2018, 09:10 PM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by robertmee
lol...I've done many stupid things but that wasn't one of them. I ran all new steel brake lines but I used the OEM in line flare tool for those. Out of 20+ flares only had 1 leak where I cracked the flare. Highly recommend that tool.
Same! Used it on two full vehicles. For bubble flares on a Buick I used another fairly cheap tool as well. I think it was a Neiko off amazon. It also worked great, only one leaking flare out of probably 14 flares on that car, and a quick loosen - tighten - loosen - tighten took care of that. I was also very, very careful with prepping the end of the line and with the technique, but it goes to show you can make your own lines very affordably. I do recommend lubricating the end of the brake line with brake fluid to ensure smooth flare creation, though it's not strictly necessary,

Old 01-24-2018, 10:13 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by tbugden
Same! Used it on two full vehicles. For bubble flares on a Buick I used another fairly cheap tool as well. I think it was a Neiko off amazon. It also worked great, only one leaking flare out of probably 14 flares on that car, and a quick loosen - tighten - loosen - tighten took care of that. I was also very, very careful with prepping the end of the line and with the technique, but it goes to show you can make your own lines very affordably. I do recommend lubricating the end of the brake line with brake fluid to ensure smooth flare creation, though it's not strictly necessary,
Good tip on lube...I didn't do that but was **** on tube prep...after cutting I reamed the inner tube to clean it and rounded off just slightly with a file the outer. Found the technique on youtube.

Quick Reply: Fuel lines