1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Fuel lines

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 03:59 PM
Josephrking
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel lines

can anyone recommend good fuel lines to use?

Old 01-18-2018, 06:52 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

RA is selling Fineline Fuel Systems lines for my rig.

Old 01-18-2018, 06:57 PM
Josephrking
Rookie

Originally Posted by onemore94dak
Thanks I’ll look there.Basically what I think is happening is the return line cracked. So I’m thinking about just replacing them from the fuel filter back.Does anyone happen to know what size the fuel line return is? Should I be able to just cut it before where it’s cracked and replace it with a steel braided line or something?Thanks Joe

Last edited by Josephrking; 01-18-2018 at 08:04 PM.
Old 01-19-2018, 07:53 AM
Josephrking
Rookie

Originally Posted by onemore94dak
Does anyone know what type of connector hooks up the fuel return line to the fuel pump?

Old 01-19-2018, 12:43 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Josephrking
Does anyone know what type of connector hooks up the fuel return line to the fuel pump?
If it's like my 90 there's a rubber hose to isolate the hard fuel line from the tank. The hard line has a flared end...a hose clamp holds it to the steel line and to the barbed fuel hat fitting.

Old 01-22-2018, 09:08 AM
Josephrking
Rookie

Originally Posted by robertmee
If it's like my 90 there's a rubber hose to isolate the hard fuel line from the tank. The hard line has a flared end...a hose clamp holds it to the steel line and to the barbed fuel hat fitting.
Here’s a little update for anyone who is having fuel line leaks.. Make sure you buy enough fuel line. I had a small leak from the return line, fixed that leak then another leak started because the lines were so rusted. Then I fixed that new leak and wouldn’t you know it I had another leak lol.Ended up just buying 5 feet and went all the way from by the fuel take to the front of the truck where the lines were rusted. So my point here is if anyone has a leak make sure you get plenty of hose. This was just a patch to make it through the winter. This summer I’m going to put some braided steel lines on and redo brake lines also.

Old 01-22-2018, 10:46 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Something to consider - while redoing the brake lines, use some of the brake line (especially if you can do a bubble flare! Or at least start one) and run new hard lines between the tank and the front of the truck.

I lost the nylon lines on my wife's Cougar one night due to a "road lizard" (chunk of tire off a truck) banging into them and putting a hole in them.

RwP

Old 01-22-2018, 02:34 PM
Josephrking
Rookie

Originally Posted by RalphP
Something to consider - while redoing the brake lines, use some of the brake line (especially if you can do a bubble flare! Or at least start one) and run new hard lines between the tank and the front of the truck.

I lost the nylon lines on my wife's Cougar one night due to a "road lizard" (chunk of tire off a truck) banging into them and putting a hole in them.

RwP
So your saying to use a metal line when possible? Yeah that’s does make sense. I’m hoping the braided lines will be good. I can’t believe how easy the fuel lines were to fix up though lol. I wouldn’t consider myself mechanically inclined at all either

Old 01-22-2018, 09:29 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RalphP

RwP
While I did flares for all my new brake lines, for fuel I used the compression AN fuel fittings on my steel lines. Worked great.

Old 01-22-2018, 11:15 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

The bubble flares are to give you a "grip" for the rubber transition hoses at each end; they also sell a "flarer" that does the rim, or even three rims, in order to make a better seal. That's why you bubble flare them.

OTOH, I used two hose clamps spun 180* at each end when I did the repair laying under the Cougar on I-49 in Arkansas *grins*

RwP

Quick Reply: Fuel lines