Fuel lines - DodgeForum.com

1st Gen Dakota '96 & Older Dakota's

Fuel lines

Old 01-18-2018, 04:59 PM
Josephrking
Amateur
Default Fuel lines

can anyone recommend good fuel lines to use?

Old 01-18-2018, 07:52 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker

RA is selling Fineline Fuel Systems lines for my rig.

Old 01-18-2018, 07:57 PM
Josephrking
Amateur

Originally Posted by onemore94dak View Post
Thanks Iíll look there.Basically what I think is happening is the return line cracked. So Iím thinking about just replacing them from the fuel filter back.Does anyone happen to know what size the fuel line return is? Should I be able to just cut it before where itís cracked and replace it with a steel braided line or something?Thanks Joe

Last edited by Josephrking; 01-18-2018 at 09:04 PM.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:53 AM
Josephrking
Amateur

Originally Posted by onemore94dak View Post
Does anyone know what type of connector hooks up the fuel return line to the fuel pump?

Old 01-19-2018, 01:43 PM
robertmee
All Star

Originally Posted by Josephrking View Post
Does anyone know what type of connector hooks up the fuel return line to the fuel pump?
If it's like my 90 there's a rubber hose to isolate the hard fuel line from the tank. The hard line has a flared end...a hose clamp holds it to the steel line and to the barbed fuel hat fitting.

Old 01-22-2018, 10:08 AM
Josephrking
Amateur

Originally Posted by robertmee View Post
If it's like my 90 there's a rubber hose to isolate the hard fuel line from the tank. The hard line has a flared end...a hose clamp holds it to the steel line and to the barbed fuel hat fitting.
Hereís a little update for anyone who is having fuel line leaks.. Make sure you buy enough fuel line. I had a small leak from the return line, fixed that leak then another leak started because the lines were so rusted. Then I fixed that new leak and wouldnít you know it I had another leak lol.Ended up just buying 5 feet and went all the way from by the fuel take to the front of the truck where the lines were rusted. So my point here is if anyone has a leak make sure you get plenty of hose. This was just a patch to make it through the winter. This summer Iím going to put some braided steel lines on and redo brake lines also.

Old 01-22-2018, 11:46 AM
RalphP
Record Breaker

Something to consider - while redoing the brake lines, use some of the brake line (especially if you can do a bubble flare! Or at least start one) and run new hard lines between the tank and the front of the truck.

I lost the nylon lines on my wife's Cougar one night due to a "road lizard" (chunk of tire off a truck) banging into them and putting a hole in them.

RwP

Old 01-22-2018, 03:34 PM
Josephrking
Amateur

Originally Posted by RalphP View Post
Something to consider - while redoing the brake lines, use some of the brake line (especially if you can do a bubble flare! Or at least start one) and run new hard lines between the tank and the front of the truck.

I lost the nylon lines on my wife's Cougar one night due to a "road lizard" (chunk of tire off a truck) banging into them and putting a hole in them.

RwP
So your saying to use a metal line when possible? Yeah thatís does make sense. Iím hoping the braided lines will be good. I canít believe how easy the fuel lines were to fix up though lol. I wouldnít consider myself mechanically inclined at all either

Old 01-22-2018, 10:29 PM
robertmee
All Star

Originally Posted by RalphP View Post

RwP
While I did flares for all my new brake lines, for fuel I used the compression AN fuel fittings on my steel lines. Worked great.

Old 01-23-2018, 12:15 AM
RalphP
Record Breaker

The bubble flares are to give you a "grip" for the rubber transition hoses at each end; they also sell a "flarer" that does the rim, or even three rims, in order to make a better seal. That's why you bubble flare them.

OTOH, I used two hose clamps spun 180* at each end when I did the repair laying under the Cougar on I-49 in Arkansas *grins*

RwP