1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Stalling Issue Stopping

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 02:32 PM
craftsman1234
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stalling Issue Stopping

New to the group. Second 1 Gen I've owned. Not sure what area this problem needs to be posted under.

I recently got a 95 4x4 5.2 Auto. with 176000 miles on it.

I've replaced.
Front Rotor and breaks.
TPS
IAC
Oil Changes
Bad lead at dipstick tube. sealed. new o-ring.

I seem to have a problem during what seems to be the first 5 five miles of driving. When slowing to a stop the vehicle will stall. It will start right back up and run okay until the next stop, Sometimes when stopping it will lurch a bit forward.

The truck idles fine in park and neutral. Cold and Warmed up.

After about 3-5 miles of driving the stalling goes away and the truck runs pretty well.

Error code of 37 is shown when checking. No check engine lite is on.

Transmission fluid in in really poor shape and I do not know when if ever any fluid was changed in it.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Old 02-03-2018, 09:27 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Magnum Engine?

Take a look down the throttle body, see if oil is pooling in the bottom of the manifold.
Might just take the throttle body right off, and clean it good. Special attention to the IAC well.... (careful cleaning the IAC itself, don't press on it too hard.....)
Code 37 is for TCC, when it stalls at a stop, does it feel like trying to stop a manual trans truck, without pushing in the clutch?
Also might try disconnecting the O2 sensor, and see if the problem goes away.

Old 02-05-2018, 02:08 PM
craftsman1234

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Magnum Engine?

Take a look down the throttle body, see if oil is pooling in the bottom of the manifold.
Might just take the throttle body right off, and clean it good. Special attention to the IAC well.... (careful cleaning the IAC itself, don't press on it too hard.....)
Code 37 is for TCC, when it stalls at a stop, does it feel like trying to stop a manual trans truck, without pushing in the clutch?
Also might try disconnecting the O2 sensor, and see if the problem goes away.
Yes. 5.2l 318.

Don't see any pooling. IAC was replaced and I cleaned the area.

Code 37.. Exactly just like stalling a manual transmission.

Old 02-05-2018, 03:07 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Unplug the three pin connector at the trans, for trans control. Plugs straight down into the top of the valve body (on the outside), about halfway back, on the drivers side of the trans. See if the problem goes away. (suspecting a sticking solenoid here.)

Old 02-05-2018, 04:14 PM
craftsman1234

Unplug the three pin connector at the trans, for trans control. Plugs straight down into the top of the valve body (on the outside), about halfway back, on the drivers side of the trans. See if the problem goes away. (suspecting a sticking solenoid here.)
Thanks will do.

Old 02-05-2018, 10:55 PM
craftsman1234

I was able to disconnect it and drive for about 3 miles total. Still had the stall issue.

II have not plugged it back it as the connector was filled with fluid, Can that create a voltage connection? This is a very hard spot to get to to clean so what can I clean it with that will safely clean the plug of the transmission fluid on both ends?

Old 02-06-2018, 08:30 AM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by craftsman1234
I was able to disconnect it and drive for about 3 miles total. Still had the stall issue.

II have not plugged it back it as the connector was filled with fluid, Can that create a voltage connection? This is a very hard spot to get to to clean so what can I clean it with that will safely clean the plug of the transmission fluid on both ends?
Transmission fluid isn't conductive. Think about it...The lockup and Overdrive solenoids are submerged in the fluid. But to clean it, get some spray contact cleaner, clean it, then put some dielectric grease on it to protect from corrosion.

Old 02-11-2018, 12:51 AM
craftsman1234

Originally Posted by robertmee
Transmission fluid isn't conductive. Think about it...The lockup and Overdrive solenoids are submerged in the fluid. But to clean it, get some spray contact cleaner, clean it, then put some dielectric grease on it to protect from corrosion.
Good point. I figure I'll order the solenoids for it. Do you know if the transducer solenoid has an oval plug or Square Square one. I can't seem to find good information on it.

Last edited by craftsman1234; 02-11-2018 at 12:52 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-11-2018, 09:38 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Shouldn't be a transducer in yours. Just two solenoids. The rest is purely hydraulically controlled.

Old 02-11-2018, 05:13 PM
craftsman1234

Shouldn't be a transducer in yours. Just two solenoids. The rest is purely hydraulically controlled.
​​​​​
Okay just the rectangular part with two solenoids with the cable running running to the 3-pin oval plug.

Quick Reply: Stalling Issue Stopping