1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Mechanic picked the truck up today

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 03:23 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts
Default Mechanic picked the truck up today

Well, as the title says.

She has not run since the morning I started her in 10F temps; he's going to see if I lunched the motor, if the transmission decided to black hole itself, or what.

(Before anyone asks - I have no garage, see note about temps down to 10F, and ... dang it, a man's gotta know his limitations! The mechanical limitations I have are a big part of it. Drats.)

Wish I had a garage; I'd rebuild a Magnum V6 and 42RH/44RH and rewire the truck to bring it up to that. Why not a V8? The current V6 is barely enough to move it at interstate speeds, but it's a well worn out LA 3.9; a freshly built Magnum V6 with better pistons and some head work ought to well out do it *grins*

RwP

Old 02-14-2018, 08:24 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Understand that cold weather......... and the time to fix it as well!

Your remark on a V6 vs V8 has me thinking this is going to be you!!

Old 02-14-2018, 12:24 PM
RalphP
Champion

Heh.

Problem with a V8 is two fold. 1) I have a fondness for loud pedal application (which is visible on the Cougar with its 5.0HO .. *grins*) 2) There is the fit problem in an early Gen1; not insurmountable, but a problem none the less.

Besides, if I had the place to work and the money, the V8 I'd fit in would be a Red Ram from the early 50's; that's the Baby Hemi, and even if it's no ball of fire, at least I'd say "Of COURSE it has a hemi!" (Not to mention the Hemi Burble(tm) that it would make at the exhaust ... )

RwP

Old 02-14-2018, 03:18 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

Sorry to hear it Ralph. I hope you find a good Magnum to build.

Old 02-15-2018, 09:38 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

V8 MPG = to or better than V6MPG, in my experience

10* temps... is that *C being in Louisana? We had MINUS 20*F up here in Chicagoland..... yeah I put off what I could, made room in the garage for what I couldn't.... fortunately I had no vehicle issues on those coldest of days....

Old 02-15-2018, 10:29 PM
RalphP
Champion

Originally Posted by volaredon
V8 MPG = to or better than V6MPG, in my experience

10* temps... is that *C being in Louisana? We had MINUS 20*F up here in Chicagoland..... yeah I put off what I could, made room in the garage for what I couldn't.... fortunately I had no vehicle issues on those coldest of days....
No, that was 10* F. For US in Lousiana, it was colder than a witch's you know what. The brass cannonballs all came off their monkeys at Fort Humbug. Shucks, our politicians even had their hands in their OWN pockets, it was so cold!

And I know it was colder there; but I run 15W40 year round because "it never gets below 20F down here!" Oops.

RwP

Old 02-16-2018, 10:36 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by RalphP
Heh.

Problem with a V8 is two fold. 1) I have a fondness for loud pedal application (which is visible on the Cougar with its 5.0HO .. *grins*) 2) There is the fit problem in an early Gen1; not insurmountable, but a problem none the less.

Besides, if I had the place to work and the money, the V8 I'd fit in would be a Red Ram from the early 50's; that's the Baby Hemi, and even if it's no ball of fire, at least I'd say "Of COURSE it has a hemi!" (Not to mention the Hemi Burble(tm) that it would make at the exhaust ... )

RwP

I would love to see that Red Ram Hemi in there!! Seeing something like that, is what makes car shows cool. To know someone put a lot of time, thought, and sweat into the build!! In time, if you go with a 3.9 magnum, I would love to see that!! Again, this is what hotrodding is about, (IMO)

All kidding aside about V8's, mine being 4wd and a 5speed changes what I would do if it was 2wd and a automatic.
If I was working on a 2wd, I would go 5.3 or 6.0 LS with a 4L60 or 80 transmission. Some of the major advantages to the LS, again, (IMO) it has a computer system that is much easier to hack, wiring is easier, so much more info, and aftermarket support for it vs mopar. Then the other advantage, which you spoke of, Space. its 2in shorter then a V8 magnum.

BTW in your part of the woods, are you pretty much emissions exempt? Up here, we are after 25 years. Still require an annual safety inspection for a regular license, or can take a classic car license with no inspections, but there are some limits on the use of the vehicle with a classic license.

Old 02-23-2018, 12:27 AM
RalphP
Champion

Well, got some good news.

The racket I was hearing? Was the A.I.R. pump. Which is dying. (Not surprisingly, IMO.)

With the racket, I shut the motor off and didn't examine it further ... see note about 377,000 miles, 15W40, and 10F day *grins*

Also, U-joints are clunking; which also doesn't surprise me, I have something like 100,000 miles on these. If not more.

I should have my baby back this weekend, if the weather breaks long enough for the mechanic to do it.

RwP

Old 02-24-2018, 09:47 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

It's actually been halfway decent here the last few days.... lotsa rain though..... (I have lakes in my yard at the moment......)

Old 02-24-2018, 12:30 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

that's easy... you don't need the AIR pump anyways.... I don't think that I have owned a vehicle that HAD an air pump yet, that didn't get the air pump removed and added to the scrap pile.... I'd leave them alone til the check valve burnt out or the belt broke or the pump seized.... and then at that point off they go!

Quick Reply: Mechanic picked the truck up today