1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Rusted Out Shock Tower/Upper Control Arm Mount

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 09:27 PM
93Dak3.9
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Rusted Out Shock Tower/Upper Control Arm Mount

Drivers side upper control arm/shock tower is badly rusted and the bolt hole for the control arm is more oval than round. There is also a nickel-quarter sized hole in the frame where the mounting bracket is attached. Has anyone been able to get a new bracket fabricated and the frame patched? It's only on the drivers side; passenger side looks mint for a 93. It's also 4WD. What are my options really? I really don't want to part with the truck just yet. The engine was recently rebuilt.

Old 02-13-2018, 11:24 PM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Tough one. Same deal with mine and I replaced the frame (but mine also broke in the back at the front leaf spring mount). Pay enough money and someone could fab something but I guarantee it would be quite expensive.

When I removed my upper control arm the bolt was so frozen that the torque I put on it with the impact and breaker bar actually completely bent and destroyed the mount, because the mount itself was paper thin in places.

It might be time for a solid axle swap if the rest of the frame is okay-ish.

Old 02-15-2018, 09:42 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

those upper control arm mount holes are oval because that's what allows the wheel alignment to be adjusted..... you actually move the control arm while loosened within the slots and tighten down while connected to an alignment machine.

Quick Reply: Rusted Out Shock Tower/Upper Control Arm Mount