1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

motor swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 02:34 PM
Cumminscowboy94
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default motor swap

i have a 1994 2 wheel drive 5 speed dodge dakota with a 4 cylinder. i am wanting to swap it with a 360.out of a 2003 dodge ram 1500 4x4 i have never done anything like this and was wanting to know all of what i need to do to make it work if it can work

Last edited by Cumminscowboy94; 02-17-2018 at 02:43 PM.
Old 02-17-2018, 02:55 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Find a 94/95 Dakota 5.2 with a transmission for a donor.

You'll need the motor mounts, the ECU, the engine bay wiring, a matching transmission (note: they changed the way they control the auto transmission in 1996, along with a totally different ECU, and later they changed how the instrument panel connects to the rest of the vehicle; both changes are there by 2003; OTOH, your manual will be hit with the torque of the 5.9 one time and go "Mama!" and probably spit its gears out the bottom, or maybe not, but the bellhousing probably won't bolt up anyway), matching driveshaft, and I'd replace that 7.25 the 94 probably has with a 8.25 or 9.25 rear end also.

Basically - you'll rebuild the truck.

If you're considering this for economic reasons ... don't. It isn't.

If you want to do something different, then have at it.

One thing that helps is that the 5.2 Magnum was a factory option, so a lot of the bits and pieces can be had out of a 92-96 (and maybe a 91!) for mounting the motor and for the transmission mounting; but again, it'll still take basically rebuilding the truck from ground up.

(Oh, and if you really want to - new intake, distributor, and carb to convert the motor to carbed; a matching transmission, and that will possibly be easier.)

The speedo is driven off the VSS, so you'll either have to have that, or graft in an earlier mechanical cluster; the tach wants 2x per revolution, so if you don't use an ECU and keep it EFI, you'll have to address that also.

RwP

Old 02-17-2018, 03:18 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

As Ralph stated, not easy. You are going from OBD1 to OBD2. There's a lot of work involved in that. Plus you will have inspections to deal with. Stick with an engine pre-96.

Old 02-17-2018, 04:02 PM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Why mess with the little Dakota if you got a Cummins? Build that ish up! If it already is build then I wanna see pics.

Old 02-17-2018, 04:47 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Shucks, with all that it would take, you might want to (heresy here!) LS swap it ... with a 4L80E transmission and decent ECU, that'll be a right nice grocery getter.

And it won't take any more work!

RwP

Old 02-18-2018, 07:49 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Not real clear on what you are wanting to do. Is it swap engine only or is it to convert to 4wd?
Just so you know, the front end of a 2wd vs 4wd 1st gen dakota's are totally different. To begin with, the 2wd used rack and pinion steering, 4wd used a standard gear style.

That being said, IMO this swap could be fairly simple (in terms of swaps!!) to very complex.
IMO simple would be engine only.
IF, you are not concerned with emissions, You could get a magnum carb style intake, (edelbrock 7577), a small 4bbl carb, and a standard HEI ignition for a SB mopar engine. You would need a fuel pressure regulator, and would need to set up the cooling as desired. I personally would use an electric fan and a V8 radiator.
Not sure on motor mounts if stock will work or if aftermarket would be needed.

Looking at rockauto, I believe the 4cyl. used the same AX15 transmission that the 92-99? used V6 dakota used.
This is just my opinion, but as long as you are not going to be really beating on it, I would try the stock transmission. FWIW in other forums, there are several running 318 and 360 magnums in front of the AX15. They like them for the overdrive, but not so much for the wide ratio!!

Oh, I do like Ralph's idea of a LS and a 4L80!! Course, what would be even cooler would be a T56!!

Quick Reply: motor swap