1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

88 3.9 aftermarket air cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 02:09 AM
Aarias
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 3.9 aftermarket air cleaner

Just bought this truck, also not sure how to navigate this forum but I was looking for an air cleaner/Intake for an 88 3.9. Have not been able to find anything online and have seen some at auto parts stores but im not sure if they would work with the MAF. any info would help

Old 06-09-2018, 07:04 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

If your 88 has a MAF, you need to talk to whoever converted it from the factory MAP (hint: Chrysler was still Speed Density, not Mass Air Flow, through most of the Gen1 run, if not all of it; I don't remember when they dropped the MAP sensor and went to a MAF sensor.)

There's a 1988 here in town in the boneyard; if I get out there today, I'll see what's left of the original intake system.

Now, when you say "intake", do you mean the intake manifold, or the factory inlet?

Also - RockAuto has the factory service manual on disc from Bishko, the original publisher for Chrysler, for about $23. I'd hie thee o'er there and grab a copy soonest.

RwP

Old 06-12-2018, 12:57 AM
Aarias

It must still be a MAP, I was just assuming it was MAF. Everything is original under the hood, truck has 64k on it.

Old 06-12-2018, 01:05 AM
Aarias

What would happen if I disconnected the map all together?

Old 06-12-2018, 05:01 AM
RalphP
Champion

It'll run pig rich and kick all kinds of ECU errors.

Why would you want to disconnect the MAP sensor?

It's on the firewall.

Before you muck about too much, obtain a copy of the factory service manual. RockAuto shows them for about $23 on CD/DVD.

RwP

Old 06-12-2018, 09:38 AM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm confused as to what exactly are you trying to accomplish? Is the Air Cleaner Missing? Are you looking for a different aftermarket style? What exactly is the problem?

Old 06-12-2018, 10:28 AM
Aarias

I'm just looking for an aftermarket air intake, nothing is wrong with it. I haven't been able to find one online.

Old 06-12-2018, 09:19 PM
RalphP
Champion

You won't find one specific to it; a generic 4-barrel unit should fit, due to the size of the throttle body.

HOWEVER.

Unless you just want the sound, do be aware that most simple intakes will be hot air intakes; the factory one has a big round filter and sucks air in from beside the radiator, where it's cooler than in the engine bay.

The only thing to be concerned about otherwise is a place for the air breather. They do make stand-alone air breathers for older cars; that way you too can have oil all over the engine bay!

RwP

Old 06-13-2018, 05:26 PM
Aarias

Awesome thanks. I was also wondering what the function was of the small valve looking piece was on the top of the inlet tube that's on the stock intake. It has a cable going to the throttle body. It seems like it just opens and closes but why is it there?

Old 06-13-2018, 06:14 PM
RalphP
Champion

You use the word "intake" ... Do you mean on the air cleaner housing, the intake manifold, or ...

A picture would be wonderful.

If you're talking about what I THINK you're talking about, that's the cold weather thermonic intake valve; fancy word for a flapper that lets it suck the hot air off the passenger exhaust manifold when the air's cold enough so the fuel will heat up faster (that's one of those wonderful things that MPFI/SEFI people don't know about, but carb people do ... and really hate!)

When warm enough, it'll close the hot air intake, and let the motor suck that nice ice cold air from in front of the radiator.

RwP

Quick Reply: 88 3.9 aftermarket air cleaner