1st Gen Dakota '96 & Older Dakota's
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

42RH transmission problem

Old 06-12-2018, 08:01 PM
dakdude
Default 42RH transmission problem

Hi All,
I have a 94 dakota, 3.9L V6, RWD, daily driver. The automatic transmission is a 42RH per the dodge shop manual and is stock and was rebuilt several years ago. I noticed yesterday a sudden change in that the shifting pattern has changed to a spongy or sluggish action. Its not as crisp as it was before. The engine is not revving higher than normal but I have to step on the gas more now on hills. Most notably, going up hills i normally travel on, I had to floor it to keep a decent speed, the engine was NOT revving, and its coolant got warmer than normal until i got back on level driving and in cooled back down. Even though I had the shifter in Low gear, it felt like it was not in Low and the engine was straining. In neutral the engine revs good.

Fluid is ATF+4, and is clean/red and at the correct level while in neutral on flat grade.

Any thoughts?
Thanks

Old 06-12-2018, 08:49 PM
dakdude

I forgot to mention that the speedo died recently...just sits at 0 while driving. The transmission wiring and plug look intact but I have not removed the sensor yet,

Old 06-13-2018, 12:18 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker

If it is a 42RH, the speedo is a mechanical cable on the tail shaft. It has probably broke.

Have you adjusted the front bands? Usually that's the first thing to do on sloppy shifts, although its more prevalent in the 1-2 shift, but will still cause an RPM surge in the 2-3 shift.

Last edited by robertmee; 06-13-2018 at 12:20 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:48 PM
dakdude

Speedo sensor on the tail is electric, 3-wire.
I have not adjusted the bands yet. I plan to drop the pan to adjust both bands, check the filter, and check for broken parts, grindings, other clues. I also checked the throttle cable. Its set correctly and looks fine on both ends per the factory manual.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 42RH transmission problem

Featured Sponsors

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: