1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

92 Dakota 5.2 Idling issues

Old 07-17-2018, 03:32 PM
Aron Montoya
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 Dakota 5.2 Idling issues

I just bought anan automatic 92 Dakota that drove home great but now has issues.
When I start it up it wont get out of first gear for awile even if I let it warm up (maybe I should wait longer?) After driving it in first for awile it will shift normaly. When I put alot of gas into it, it seems like it cant decide which gear it wants to be in around 55mph to 65mph and shifts back and forth erratically. Then after I turn it off it wont stay started unless I put gas into it and after awile it may idle but will usually die when I get back home and put it in reverse or park unless I keep my foot on the gas.

I checked the OBD and got a code of 12 22 24 55 and 12 usually shows the start and 55 is the end of codes. So it looks like I need to replace the temp sensor (already did cuz the guage wasnt working) and the air intake sensor but I am not sure if I am missing somthing.

Also the muffle has not been welded to the frame yet either so im not sure if that would cause some of the issues. Any opinions or suggestions would be welcome. I really dont want to waste a bunch of money.

I can also try to post a video of the check engine light flashing codes incase it seems like I mis interpreted it.

Thank you

Old 07-17-2018, 05:02 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron Montoya
I just bought anan automatic 92 Dakota that drove home great but now has issues.
When I start it up it wont get out of first gear for awile even if I let it warm up (maybe I should wait longer?) After driving it in first for awile it will shift normaly. When I put alot of gas into it, it seems like it cant decide which gear it wants to be in around 55mph to 65mph and shifts back and forth erratically. Then after I turn it off it wont stay started unless I put gas into it and after awile it may idle but will usually die when I get back home and put it in reverse or park unless I keep my foot on the gas.

I checked the OBD and got a code of 12 22 24 55 and 12 usually shows the start and 55 is the end of codes. So it looks like I need to replace the temp sensor (already did cuz the guage wasnt working) and the air intake sensor but I am not sure if I am missing somthing.

Also the muffle has not been welded to the frame yet either so im not sure if that would cause some of the issues. Any opinions or suggestions would be welcome. I really dont want to waste a bunch of money.

I can also try to post a video of the check engine light flashing codes incase it seems like I mis interpreted it.

Thank you
12 is "Battery disconnected in last 50 start cycles"; if you're not disconnecting the battery, check your battery cables, both ends (both battery AND the other ends).

If you changed the one wire temp sending unit, that's not the one the ECU uses; you need to change the two wire sending unit. (And if you changed it, but it didn't alter the gauge, change the one wire unit closer to the passenger side.)

I'll be willing to bet you've got a bad vacuum leak somewhere. And if the TPS is also malfunctioning, the ECU has to make WAGs as to where the throttle IS. That can cause some of the idle problems.

The drag on the 1/2 upshift? That may be normal if the transmission is not warmed up. Hint: The pump don't run in park, it won't warm up in park.

RwP

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 92 Dakota 5.2 Idling issues