1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

acceleration hesitation solved! WOOHOO

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 12:37 AM
greenray
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default acceleration hesitation solved! WOOHOO

MY 89 3.9 4X4 HAD A SPUTTERING SYMPTOM ON ACCELERATION! I tried plugs, cap, rotor,wires,heat temp sensor, 0-2 sensor, and fuel filter. nothing helped. today me and a partner of mine tried to re-time the damn thig and could'nt get it right, so we pulled the distributor out, removed the pick-up plate from the top of the dist. , and there it was! under the pick-up plate is a hub type deal that looks like a small cluth basket, the metal basket type piece is mated to a plastic hub that is attached to the distributor shaft with a roll pin.on page 5-5 of thehaynes book they call it the pulse ring, and plastic ring. what happened was the plastic pegs that hold the metal to the plastic waddled out the holes in the metal basket, causing the metal tabs on the basket to rub the the pick-up. called around to parts houses, they tell me go to dodge dealer, dodge does'nt sell that particular piece of th dist. anymore, tyey tell me an after market dist. is your only option. the dist. is fine other than this pulse ring! so out comes the epoxy! i centered the 2 pieces, piled up a little epoxy where the plastic shaft meets the flat metal, and a little on each of the 4 plastic pegs, let the epoxy/plastic weld goo set for about an hour, reassemble the dist. , and BAM! she accelerates like new money again. NOTHIN' LIKE SOME GOOD OLE JIMEE RIGGIN'

Old 09-03-2011, 05:40 PM
camdenbuck
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Greenray
Had the same problem with my 92 3.9. Planning to go the epoxy route too. Any particular alignment for the pulse ring or is it an average between the two points?

Quick Reply: acceleration hesitation solved! WOOHOO