1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Needed help with clunking noise while in 4WD

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 02:08 AM
Caspian
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Needed help with clunking noise while in 4WD

I was getting ready to post the exact same thing. I talked to a guy with a Silverado and he said that you didn't have to take the case out for the chain removal on a Chevy and it was probably the same for the Dodge. I am going to be doing the same thing this weekend-Monday. I am going to do as much changing as I can so maybe I wont have to do this for awhile. I tried putting the transfer case and transmission in neutral and turning the two driveshafts. The back driveshaft has NO play in it at all, but the front shaft had about a half inch of play and also has a nice ratcheting sound whenever you twist the driveshaft. I don't know if its the chain or a separate gear, I guess that I will find out.

Old 12-18-2006, 01:14 PM
Ethica19
Rookie

Hey guys, looks like I've got the same problem as you two do w/my 4x4. Bought it last year and it worked great. When i bought it I saw some oil around the back of the transfer case, didn't think much of it since it wasn't dripping but eventually I went in there to fix it and it was bone dry. After I sealed the T case and topped off the fluids the noise came it's like a clunking from the passenger side floor boards. I took out my cv joints, my fron u joints and checked my hub, but they all look good. I can put my finger in the t case and feel that the chain is kind of loose, I can move it about a quarter of an inch through the fill hole. were either of you successful w/the chain??? how difficult was it. I am getting ready to trade her in if I need a new T case. This dakota has been more probems than any foreign vehicle I've ever had. Any insight fixing this problem would be great! Thank you

Old 12-19-2006, 12:48 AM
Caspian

I just finished my exams today and should get a chance to look at it this week some. I have not checked the chain by sticking my finger in the fill hole (a good idea). If the chain can move that much, I would say that it needs to be replaced. I am going to pull the cover off and take a look at the entire transfer case. If I pull the housing off, I am hoping that nothing falls out because I'll never get that stuff put back together right. The only thing that concerns me, is that the chain is not making any noise while in 2WD. I should know something soon.

Old 12-19-2006, 01:03 PM
Ethica19
Rookie

I guess I'm going to take her in today to my local mechanic, I weighed the pros and cons of trading her in (gotta love the depreciation factor, and the fact that a dealer will take you for all its worth) everythign else on her is in great shape, maybe I'll get lucky and it'll be just the chain. There isn't any noise when in 2wd just a sort of a humm comming from where the transer case is.

Old 12-19-2006, 05:11 PM
nineighthawk
Amateur

I tore my case apart and found the chain was slightly longer than the new one.
I assume alot of the play is in the teeth of the chain.
I have taken some pics and will post them when I get it all together.

-Dave-

Old 12-20-2006, 02:43 AM
Caspian

Excellent, if you are going to post pics, then I will wait and just start the body work instead. I would imagine that if the old chain is longer than the new one, that must be the problem. Did you just unbolt the cover while the transfer case was in the truck? Good luck and thanks.

Old 12-20-2006, 03:31 PM
Ethica19
Rookie

that's great, I'm taking mine in next weekend to get looked at. I'm already looking for new transfer cases, theres a place out of CO that has them rebuilt for 650 w/ one year warranty. Or I can go the junk yard route and buy it for about 500 w/o warranty, choices choices.... I'd look at changing the chain but I'm starting to hear rattling down there, I think mine is a goner. How about u joints, you guys ever done those on the dakota?? how much trouble are they?

Old 12-21-2006, 06:10 PM
Caspian

I started working on the transfer case today, and I noticed that my chain has a bunch of slack in it as well. I cant really get my finger that far inside of the case, but I would say that the chain has about a half inch of slack in it. I believe that this is the source of our problems. I started taking my case apart, but it started raining so I will have to wait until tomorrow.

Old 12-27-2006, 02:24 PM
Ethica19
Rookie

Took old girl to the shop today, mechanic said he's seen a few of thes Dakota's t case chain get so loose that it started tearing up the inside of the T case ultimately leading to needing a new one. I'm just praying to God that it's something simple. for now I'm just waiting for the dreaded call. Best of luck to you guys.

Old 12-29-2006, 01:51 PM
Ethica19
Rookie

Got the dreaded call from the shop yesterday. My TC is a goner, I'm gonna take it out back like old yeller. Just waiting to see now if I can find one from a wrecking yard or have to blow the 700 for the rebuilt one. Hope you guys have beeter luck with yours.

Quick Reply: Needed help with clunking noise while in 4WD