1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

how to get codes without scanner

Old 10-22-2007, 09:03 PM
demo67
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to get codes without scanner

thanks for all the help. hope this helps somebody. I'm still stuck with my abs and brake light problem.

2000 and newer Dakotas and Durangos have a built-in system that can display check engine light (CEL) codes without the use of a scanner. 1999 and earlier Dakotas/Durangos must be read with a scanner, check your local dealership or auto parts store for assistance.

To check your engine codes:
Turn the key to ON (not start), OFF, ON, OFF, ON and leave it there. If you look in the odometer window the codes will flash any code(s) with a small delay between each result. Each code should be in a P#### format, and will say PDONE when completed - turn your key to OFF and remove. Use the OBD code list to determine what problem the computer detected.

To reset your engine codes:
Remove the negative terminal of your battery (10mm wrench).
Turn your ignition key to START and hold it there for about 15 seconds.
Turn your ignition key to OFF and remove it.
Connect the negative terminal of your battery.
[/align]

Old 04-23-2023, 02:17 PM
onephat66
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by demo67
thanks for all the help. hope this helps somebody. I'm still stuck with my abs and brake light problem.

2000 and newer Dakotas and Durangos have a built-in system that can display check engine light (CEL) codes without the use of a scanner. 1999 and earlier Dakotas/Durangos must be read with a scanner, check your local dealership or auto parts store for assistance.

To check your engine codes:
Turn the key to ON (not start), OFF, ON, OFF, ON and leave it there. If you look in the odometer window the codes will flash any code(s) with a small delay between each result. Each code should be in a P#### format, and will say PDONE when completed - turn your key to OFF and remove. Use the OBD code list to determine what problem the computer detected.

To reset your engine codes:
Remove the negative terminal of your battery (10mm wrench).
Turn your ignition key to START and hold it there for about 15 seconds.
Turn your ignition key to OFF and remove it.
Connect the negative terminal of your battery.
[/align]
Ok, what about those Durangos with push button start????

Old 04-28-2023, 08:07 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by onephat66
Ok, what about those Durangos with push button start????
Did you bother looking at the date on this???? Or did you look at this being in the 1st gen Durango section???? Maybe pay attention to that before being a smart *** with your damn question marks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: how to get codes without scanner