1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Rough Idle, charging issue, no gauges.. help please

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 05:56 AM
cmoney534
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough Idle, charging issue, no gauges.. help please

okay,, long story short, i rebuily my 98 on a 01 chassis, worked fine, everything was good, for a month i was stuck in limp mode, then after about 30 key turns it reset and peeled out(wasnt trying to) . thought was good so i parked it to work on other projects, come back to finish so i can sell and im running into some problems,.

first was battery read 9v, so replaced that now got 12.1 cool.
but the weird thing was that it was charging at 13,8v, and after about 20 seconds it would dip down and spit and sputter .. hooked up my batter charger on start setting and it idles back to normal, 900/1000 rpms w/e , so we thought was alternator, went and got one from a friend off a working truck, and same thing, so spent all tonight 2am-5am tinkering with it with no luck, removed the clip from the alter and it idles fine, but at 12.2 votlts, put it back on and 13.8 volts but goes back rough, as of right now we are thinking its the pcm going out but could maybe be another sensor somewhere, i'm not sure...

second issue is that my gause cluster is not working and the odo is flashing numbers , its not the no bus problem just flashing numbers , security air bag, abs/brake(always on since i got it) are lit up, along with low fuel and i think seatbelt,

any and all help will be appreciated, i feel like ive tried everything to get this going again, and im just stuck in a rut, think im gonna try and swap pcms and see what happens

Old 11-10-2016, 06:52 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I'd start by checking and cleaning all my battery connections.