1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Engine Swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 11:13 PM
dano4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Swap

I'm a new member and looked through most of the forums but didn't see anything about an engine swap. I have an '01, Durango with a 4.7l enginewith 250,00 miles (love the truck). Power suddenly went down, took it to a dealer and they did a compression check and I have 0 compression in one of the cylinders. Since they gave me no trade in value I thought I would fix it myself when is gets warmer. My question is probably premature since I haven't broke the engine down yet, but can you swap a 5.2l or 5.7l engine into my truck without much or any modifications?

Old 01-30-2008, 11:46 PM
deerang
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Engine Swap

If you're asking will it fit? then technically a 5.2 or 5.9 will fit in...(no idea about a 5.7L hemi though)...however remember that the transmission, exhaust, and a BUNCH or wiring is different between the engines... possibly the rad as well...

if you got 250000 mi out of your current 4.7, why are you looking to swap the 5.2 or 5.7? lack of compression can be a wide range of reasons... if the cylinder heads are fine (valves, springs etc...) it may just be a piston ring, that has bitten the dust...

if you have the funds to pull off a swap of this proportion, i suggest looking into what the problem on your current engine is... 250,000 mi, a good engine builder could refresh that for you and you'll be good as new... bore it over, rebuild the heads with new springs, even put a more aggressive cam in there and you'll have more power than before...

hopefully this wasn't overkill for you haha..

Old 01-31-2008, 07:14 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dano

The 5.7 swap is doable, but the one successful transplant I have seen so far still has issues to work out. I agree with Deerang that swapping to the older 5.2 or 5.9 is going backwards. As you know, if cared for the 4.7 is a good motor. You should be able to find a nice lower mileage motor to drop in while you dive into the old one at your leisure.

That would also get your D back on the road fairly quickly.

Just my thoughts Don

Old 01-31-2008, 07:40 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Just bore the original motor out about 30 to 40 thousandths over. But a small bit bigger cam in it and have the heads polished and ported a small bit. You'll have the power you want for sure.

Swap from 5.2L to 5.9L is bolt up but you have some issues with the computer. The blocks are the same. There might be other small problems associated with the transplant.

The 5.7L is the new Hemi. One word (Nightmare) so don't even think of it.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:55 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Heck, it may be possible to get the new 2007-2008 high output 300+HP 4.7 engine replacement?

Quick Reply: Engine Swap