1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Vibration / humming noise - need help

Old 05-05-2008, 10:26 PM
berger21
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration / humming noise - need help

I have a vibration / humming noise coming from the front. It gets worse when I turn left and not quite as bad when I turn right. I can feel it through the steering wheel. I am thinking passenger side wheel bearing or power steering pump. Is there any way to tell for sure what the problem is?

It's a 1999 Durango 5.9L 4x4.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:16 AM
Mopar=More Power
Default RE: Vibration / humming noise - need help

It sure sounds like a wheel bearing due to the getting louder and getting quiter depending on which way you turn. Can you tell if the ps pump makes any noise at idle? While in park rev to about 2000 RPM and and turn wheel side to side and see if the pump whines at all. If it is 4 wheel drive you can lift the vehicle, put it in 4 wheel drive and drive, and let the wheels turn while you listen with a stethoscope at the wheel bearing. Listen to both sides and see if there is any difference in the volume of nosie being produced and if there is any abnormal noises. If you can get the front two tires off the ground you can unlock the steering wheel and shake the the front end down. If you don't have access to a hoist lift from lower control arms. Grab wheel at top and bottom and shake up and down. 2 wheel drive should have very minor movement up and down while 4 wheel drive should have none. Any questions hit me back. Good Luck!!!

Kyle

Old 05-06-2008, 03:36 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mopar=More Power

If it is 4 wheel drive you can lift the vehicle, put it in 4 wheel drive and drive, and let the wheels turn while you listen with a stethoscope at the wheel bearing. Listen to both sides and see if there is any difference in the volume of nosie being produced and if there is any abnormal noises.
Kyle
Oh hell no!!!!

The rear end is a limited slip. You do this and you will take the diff out!

Old 05-07-2008, 10:05 AM
Mopar=More Power

Are you sure about that??? We,ve done this dozens of time and never had a problem! And if that is your only consern then remove the drivshaft.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:47 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes it's true. The drive shaft can be removed on the rear but should be marked for correct installation. The front is a open diff.

Yes, you don't want to do that to a limited slip. Talk about raising hell with the gears. The idea is great but not the best thing to do on the diff's. It is better to move only one wheel at a time. Just do it manually. There are many ways to see if the bearings are going out. Heat marks, bearings, heat, movement, and just plain take it off and feel its movement.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:32 PM
berger21

The power stearing seems fine when the vehicle is not in motion. I will raise the front and remove thewheels and rotors and see which one feels more loose or sounds worse.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Vibration / humming noise - need help