1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Hot water on the passenger floor....

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 10:55 AM
zell
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hot water on the passenger floor....

I figured something wasn't right with the A/C....neither of the rear 2 sections blow even remotely cool air, but up front it seems ok. A few weekends ago after a few hours of driving with the A/C on, I switched hte selector from the front panel to the defroster. About 30 min later I realized that a puddle of warm/hot water had appeared on the passenger side floor board, soaking the carpet. Any ideas?

Chris

Old 05-22-2008, 11:21 AM
440shadow
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hot water on the passenger floor....

you have a ruptured heater core.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:21 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Either the heater core or because you were using the A/C so long and then you put the defroster on maybe the heat melted the ice.

Also have you checked you fluid level for the a/c?

Old 05-22-2008, 01:37 PM
DRO318
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For sure your heater coil. This is some thing you may not want to change your self, as it is a three man job. I had mine changed at my local trusted mechanic shop. It cost me $875. you could bypass the coil for time being. but remember that you will not have heat. Always remember to change your antifreeze every three to five months. it has an oil in it that lubricates the water pump, thermostat,coil, freeze plugs and engine. if you bon't have the funds to get it replaced at lease bypass it and Change the antifreeze. From what you say it seems as if you added water to your antifreeze. I use the 50/50 prestonit will help you in the end. Have you ever changed the water pump or the thermostat?

Old 05-22-2008, 07:55 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: DRO318

For sure your heater coil. This is some thing you may not want to change your self, as it is a three man job. I had mine changed at my local trusted mechanic shop. It cost me $875. you could bypass the coil for time being. but remember that you will not have heat. Always remember to change your antifreeze every three to five months. it has an oil in it that lubricates the water pump, thermostat,coil, freeze plugs and engine. if you bon't have the funds to get it replaced at lease bypass it and Change the antifreeze. From what you say it seems as if you added water to your antifreeze. I use the 50/50 prestonit will help you in the end. Have you ever changed the water pump or the thermostat?
What is the coil in the cooling system??????? Do you mean heater core???????

To change antifreeze every 3 to 5 months is ridiculous! The only problem with the antifreeze on engine parts is the fact that most people use regular water as the filler. This is wrong. Regular water has minerals that deteriorate your motor and components. You should always use distilled water.

50/50 is not recommended for everyone. Just look at the testing that was done at Missouri University just for hot temps. This does not include low temps.

missouricareereducation.org/pd/BBDoc/Presentations/BB05-Goodwi7.doc

Yes you are right about the lubricant. But it take approximately 30,000 miles to break down and even that depends on the motor and how it was taken care of. I've seen antifreeze come out of motors with 100k on them and look and run great.

Yes you can bypass the heater core for now. To replace a heater core it these rigs is very hard to do. The whole dash board has to come out!

Look at the water that came out first. Is it green or otherwise discolored? Does it smell like antifreeze? Does your windshield fog when the defroster is on?

There still could be many other issues than just to say it is the heater core.

Quick Reply: Hot water on the passenger floor....