1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Front Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 01:09 PM
doofness
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Brakes

Recently my brakes start to squeak when i move. It isn't all the time, but it's more random than anything. It is coming from the front right brake and it like makes a squeek everytime the caliber is released. When i press on the brakes, the noise stops. My father swears that they are fine and just metal touching metal but if that's the case, why don't i hear the cars passing me with the same sound.
Has anyone had this issue or does anyone know how I can fix it?
Thanks,
Matt

Old 04-14-2008, 02:11 PM
Dango85
Rookie
Default RE: Front Brakes

I've had brake noise coming from warped rotors touching the pads/calipers even when the brakes aren't engaged. It tended to happen at certain speeds only, and went away when the brake pedal was pressed When was the last time that you had the pads checked and the rotors machined?

The D easily warps the rotors because of its weight, and this problem is only made worse if braking habits involve more urgent/frequent stopping. Once I had new pads installed and the rotors turned, I just make a habit of braking as easily as possible, and it has worked well in preventing brake noise. Though, I do occasionally hear a noise making a peep every now and again, but I've just come to expect that from my truck given its characteristics.

In addition, make sure your emergency brake is fully-off as well.

Old 04-14-2008, 03:00 PM
doofness

yea i am sure the emergency brake is off because i would see the light, and plus it wouldn't matter becuase that's the back drum brakes, not the front. It happens as different speeds but it's only when the brakes aren't engaged.
i had the rotors checked about 6 or so months ago

Old 04-15-2008, 01:44 PM
doofness

has anyone had this happen to them?

Old 04-15-2008, 02:23 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The sound is the back of the pads vibrating. Auto parts stores sell a glaze you can put on the back of your pads to decrease the vibrations.

Old 06-02-2008, 02:15 PM
lifesun

Well I have had this issue going on for quite some time now and I can't seem to figure it out. I posted about this awhile back and tried all the suggestions with no luck. Just to recap to make sure we are talking about the same thing......

1998 Durango 4x4

My issue is on the drivers side. Once I drive a mile or so, I get a very distinct chirp/squeak from the front left brake. If I barely press the pedal it goes away. It first started after the first time I replaced the pads, never made a noise before that. Here is what I tried in this order: Replaced the pads again with high performance pads, and also replaced both rotors at the same time. applied plenty of anti-squeal compound and also used the proper shims on the ears of the pads - no changeNext I replaced both front calipers - no changeNext to rule out a warped rotor I swapped them being that the passenger side is fine - no changeNext I replaced both front rubber brake hoses - no change[/ul] I would also like to note that the noise stops when its wet outside, if I am in reverse, or if I rock the wheels back in forth while driving.......the same way you would test for a bad wheel bearing.

The only thing that I can come up with is that the knuckle that the caliper rests on seems to have wear marks where the pads sit. I tried to file down the marks and it seemed to lessen the noise for a day or so, but now its back in full force. So I am stumped. I am wondering being that this is a 98 model with the springs built into the pads, if this is the possible cause after the knuckles wear? Does anyone know if I could try a set of newer calipers that have the separate spring clip, such as the 02 model??? I have looked over the brakes on both sides several times after I put several more thousand miles on them, and the pads and rotors seem fine, no abnormal wear at all. This issue is driving me crazy!

Old 06-02-2008, 04:31 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

First of all the divets need to be fully ground out! This is the first step. The pads need to slip back and forth and have no divets to hang them up. After a while you have to replace the knuckel.

Next thing is the sound. I bet you accidently bent the brake dust shield just a little bit and it is rubbing on the rotor. This happens all the time. They are so thin they bend very easy. When they get a little heat on them they expand and I bet that is your problem.

Remember to lubricate the contact points for the pads on the knuckel and also the bolts that the pads ride on.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:21 AM
SumAmerican
Professional

One big step when working on brakes that most people forget is to clean the brake rotors. If i install a new set of rotors i use a power sander to clean off the protective coat that the factory puts on there. Also any dirt or grease that gets on your hands will need to be cleaned off the rotor with brake parts cleaner. Oil and dirt can stick to your pads and make noises.

Old 06-08-2008, 12:02 PM
smittyb69n

Since you swapped your rotors around they will probably warp pretty fast, now that there being rubbed the opposite direction. I would keep an eye on those and turn the radio up

Old 06-08-2008, 02:34 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

A correct brake job should have had the rotors turned and therefore the opposite direction shouldn't matter.

I'm betting on lubrication of contact points and also a good squel vibration gel on the back of the pads to fix the problem. Clean everything great with brake cleaner before lubrication and watch the dust plate.

Quick Reply: Front Brakes