1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Catalytic converter bad ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 08:59 PM
Russ50
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catalytic converter bad ???

Hey all,, Wondering if anybody would know how to tell if a catalytic converter is going bad or clogging up on a 98 D 5.2

Old 10-25-2012, 10:46 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Russ50
Hey all,, Wondering if anybody would know how to tell if a catalytic converter is going bad or clogging up on a 98 D 5.2
Egg smell is typical. Horrible gas mileage too.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:35 AM
Russ50
Professional

hhhhhmmmmm,,, Ok,, Would you know if it would make any sensors show bad when testing them,, An if I cut mine off if it would hurt anything if I just replace it with just a pipe, It's just a question I was wondering,,

Old 10-26-2012, 08:44 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can not "just remove" an O2 sensor.

http://www.thefastman.com/o2simm.php

Old 10-26-2012, 08:48 AM
Russ50
Professional

So I would be better off replaceing with another converter or do they make a pipe with the 02 sensor on it to replace it with,,

Old 10-26-2012, 11:15 AM
cummingetit
Professional

You can remove just the converter between the o2 sensors. The front sensor is the one that actually does the important work. The rear one only tells the computer that the cat is working. I had read that you can take a pair of spark plug non foulers drill them out and screw them together then into your pipe, then put the o2 sensor in the other end and it will fool it into thinking there is a cat installed. Idk how true this is. I bought all the stuff but never put it on. Haven't decided weather or not i want to chop my cat out or not.

Posted from Dodgeforum.com App for Android

Old 10-26-2012, 12:38 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only thing that truly works is the o2 SIMM that Indy posted above otherwise you will be throwing codes like crazy. The SIMM box is ment to be for racing appications not your DD but, some have done it. Also, you have to check into what your states Emmisions Laws are BEFORE attempting this... Many states, PA is one of them.. When the inspector sees the missing Cat and the Simm box on the visual inspection (all cars get that here) its a automatic FAILURE. My advise would be just to get the factory pipe that the OEM Cat is built in and save yourself the headache... They can be had for under $200 bucks online.

http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/...FQJx4AodCBQAeA

Last edited by Old_School; 10-26-2012 at 12:46 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:59 PM
Russ50
Professional

Well,,, Mine has threw about 3 codes at one time an they are all on the trottle body,, The way my motor is ideling up an down then when I try to drive it then it don't want to take the gas,, I have to keep the gas pedal low an easy to try an get er going, I drove er about 3 miles yesturday an just putting an going then when I got there I smelled something burning but couldn't find anything burning at all, (I hopeing it was from some body had a lil fire someplace) They guy where I was at said he didn't smell it till I got there,, So this was why I was wondering how ya could tell if the cad was clogging up,,

Old 10-26-2012, 04:31 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Russ50
Well,,, Mine has threw about 3 codes at one time an they are all on the trottle body,, The way my motor is ideling up an down then when I try to drive it then it don't want to take the gas,, I have to keep the gas pedal low an easy to try an get er going, I drove er about 3 miles yesturday an just putting an going then when I got there I smelled something burning but couldn't find anything burning at all, (I hopeing it was from some body had a lil fire someplace) They guy where I was at said he didn't smell it till I got there,, So this was why I was wondering how ya could tell if the cad was clogging up,,
Ok well, let's start simple, What 3 codes are you throwing?

Old 10-26-2012, 09:06 PM
Russ50
Professional

P0123,,,, P0107 ,,,, P1296,,,, All happen at one time,, Member my D was parked for 6 years an the pipe was cut between the cad an muffler,,, Well I hooked on my 19ft car hauler trailer an pulled it about 10 miles an after I parked it for 3 to 4 hours then this is what happen,, My parts are good cause I replace em but didn't help me any,, So this is why I starting to feel the cad mite be going bad or is bad,,

Quick Reply: Catalytic converter bad ???