1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

check engine light??? P0455

Old 09-23-2008, 03:34 PM
dahalican
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default check engine light??? P0455

i have a code P0455 Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected Large Leak Detected. i have replaced the gas cap with a new one from auto zone who scanned the engine code for me. any other idea what i should do. they gave me a list on what to check.

1) defective, loose or missing fuel cap (already replaced)
2)EVAP canister broke, hose cracked or not connected
3)Purge or vent solenoid defective
4) Vacuum leak at engine

I don't know where to find these thing EVAP canister is or the purge solenoid, or vacuum leak at engine. This is my first america car and i know nothing about them but would like to learn. any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by dahalican; 09-23-2008 at 03:35 PM. Reason: year make and model
Old 09-23-2008, 03:36 PM
dahalican

2001 Dodge Durango R/T

Old 09-24-2008, 11:52 AM
n8ech
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DH:

The new gas cap was a good start. I just replaced min at 74k to cure a reccurring p0442.

You will find the evap cannister below near the T case on a cross member. I will bet $20 you will find one or both hoses cracked there.

This is what I found about 6 months back when I had my p0455. You can either buy the assembly at the dealer for ~$40. or go to the local AZ and get a couple of heater bypass hoses for $20.

Don

Old 09-24-2008, 10:45 PM
dahalican

well before i bought the new gas cap i had code po442 also. so now i just have that one code coming back. took a look at the canister and hoses and the hoses seems fine with no cracks. i think i just might replace the whole assembly just to be on the safe side. but thanks for the advice.

Old 09-26-2008, 12:03 AM
MAGIC84
All Star
Default P0455

Gas cap is good start. One thing i observed when I was having these recurring codes, was actually a few things. 1. The hoses attaching to the canister, at least one of them was a flared fittinf meaning 3/8th on one side 7/16th on the other I got mine fixed using a length of each size and a coupler and hose clamps. The lengths of hose I got were very short lengths maybe 6" at most per segment, AutoZone gave me them for scrap hose but I had to pay for the couplers, and clamps. One more area to check is off the PCV valve there is a hose that runs into a plastic tube across the manifold and connects with another piece of 90 degree elbow in the back of the engine drivers side between the firewall and engine, that elbow was split. Check both pieces of vacuum hoses both on the engine and pcv valve side. Really check the hoses good, mine were dryrotted and split at the fittings. Might be a good thing to check prior to a long road trip, saves some embarrassment while out on the road. Even with the codes, my 4.7 fine, just a nusciance and distraction and possibly a slight fuel mileage drop but fuel drop is negligible. GoodLuck!!!!

Old 09-28-2008, 07:51 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys:

Add to this the short section of 5/16" hose that goes from the evap cannister to the fuel tank.

800 miles after replacing the gas cap and having no CE light, yesterday it comes on.
Found the aformentioned hose cracked, so hopefully this is the fix.

Don

Old 09-30-2008, 05:48 PM
dahalican

i have found only one cracked hose on the pcv valve in the engine bay. had it replaced and code cleared. the other day the light came back on again with the same code. does anyone have a schematics of the evap system?

Old 09-30-2008, 09:34 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

i think there is an outline of what it connects to and in what order on the underside of your hood or at least mine has one check there as long as the truck hasnt been repainted it should be there and visible

Old 10-02-2008, 11:27 PM
dahalican

still having problems. where can i find the solinoid? how many hoses should be coming out of the tank?

Old 03-11-2009, 08:31 PM
INDIANA DAVE

Did you guys reset the codes after doing these repairs? My wife has left her locking gas cap loose before and once I tightened it, Autozone reset it. (They're not supposed to though).
Which fuse can I pull to reset the computer? Another post said fuse 23, but mine has no fuse 23.
I'm tempted to remove the battery cable to reset it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: check engine light??? P0455