1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Intermediate Steering Shaft

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 09:58 AM
gusheidisky
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermediate Steering Shaft

I've found a few topics that diagnose a worn intermediate steering shaft (failed universal joints), but I haven't found a step-by-step description of the replacement procedure.

I have a 2000 Durango R/T. I don't know when they switched, but the 2000 and later models have steering rack, not steering box. Has anyone in this forum done the replacement themselves, and can you post the step-by-step procedure? I believe it's not too complicated, but I'd like to see the steps before I just dive in and figure it out as I go.

Thanks,

- Roger

Old 10-06-2008, 02:15 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

UV joints and a worn intermediate steering shaft are not related.

Where are you having your troubles? Knocking in the drive train or knocking in the steering column?

IndyDurango

Old 10-06-2008, 01:49 PM
gusheidisky
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering shaft

I don't mean the universal joints on the drive shafts, I mean the knuckle joint (which really is a universal joint) in the intermediate steering shaft. Mine is worn, leading to excessive play in the steering, and an occasional clunk when turning the steering wheel while in motion. The wheel turns about 1.5" without the rack moving a fraction.

I'm confident on the diagnosis, just looking for hints and kinks on the replacement procedure.

- roger

Old 10-06-2008, 08:27 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Sounds like you got a hold of it.

I'm sorry but I've never done it but always wanted to! If you do it please post photo's and include everything you can.

I'm sure you would have to disconect it and push them out just like a U-joint tho?

Quick Reply: Intermediate Steering Shaft