1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Running Rough After Timing Chain Replacement 4.7l

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2021, 08:11 AM
DodgeGeekr
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Running Rough After Timing Chain Replacement 4.7l

I'm coming here today to pick the brains who know the 4.7l more than I do. recently replaced the chains, tensioners, guides, rockers, lifters, and so on after overheating the engine and had the heads sent to a machine shop.

when I was installing the new timing chains, I made sure the 2 black links were lined up on the idler dot at the 12 o'clock positions and the 1 black chain link on the crank sprocket on the 6 o clock, made sure that the 2 black links were in the 2 windows/holes on the idler and they were, the v8's on the cam sprockets were at the 12 o'clock positions and positioned the black links on the dots on the sprocket. went to go fire the beast up and seems like it's only running on 4 cylinders. I am also getting a p0344 code that instantly gets set after clearing codes. the whole passenger side head is either not firing or contributing very damn little. I go unplug all of the coils on the passenger side and it doesn't change. I go unplug one of the coils on the driver's side and it nearly dies out. there is no backfiring. the engine shakes but the shaking smooths out around 2-3k. No misfire codes. I'm stumped, I think it's a timing issue as that makes the most logical sense, but shouldn't I be getting a p0016 code? I have previously had the p0344 code come on here and there but I know there is a TSB for the issue for something software in the PCM. Also, i made sure the engine was at TDC and Cyl #1 was at the top. any help is appreciated.

Old 01-08-2021, 12:17 AM
sporta
Veteran
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by DodgeGeekr
I'm coming here today to pick the brains who know the 4.7l more than I do. recently replaced the chains, tensioners, guides, rockers, lifters, and so on after overheating the engine and had the heads sent to a machine shop.

when I was installing the new timing chains, I made sure the 2 black links were lined up on the idler dot at the 12 o'clock positions and the 1 black chain link on the crank sprocket on the 6 o clock, made sure that the 2 black links were in the 2 windows/holes on the idler and they were, the v8's on the cam sprockets were at the 12 o'clock positions and positioned the black links on the dots on the sprocket. went to go fire the beast up and seems like it's only running on 4 cylinders. I am also getting a p0344 code that instantly gets set after clearing codes. the whole passenger side head is either not firing or contributing very damn little. I go unplug all of the coils on the passenger side and it doesn't change. I go unplug one of the coils on the driver's side and it nearly dies out. there is no backfiring. the engine shakes but the shaking smooths out around 2-3k. No misfire codes. I'm stumped, I think it's a timing issue as that makes the most logical sense, but shouldn't I be getting a p0016 code? I have previously had the p0344 code come on here and there but I know there is a TSB for the issue for something software in the PCM. Also, i made sure the engine was at TDC and Cyl #1 was at the top. any help is appreciated.
Did you by chance replace the cam sprockets when you did the repair? The passenger side JTEC wheel in my kit was the wrong one. Check this post of mine...it might help: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...ck-to-her.html Look down at the end of the post for a pic of what I mean.

If everything was lined up properly this might be the cause of your woes...also did you replace the Camshaft Position Sensor? If so did you use Mopar branded parts? That has given me fits before as well...

Best of luck

Steve

Quick Reply: Running Rough After Timing Chain Replacement 4.7l