1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Which shift kit?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 10:49 PM
RollerRed
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which shift kit?

So just wanting to upgrade because I can...
First question:Is there any way to tell if you have a shift kit already installed?
Second:Which is the best/easiest to install? Would prefer a auto shift option...
Third:whill this help the trans last longer? I don't have any problems at all, pulls great and can chirp the tires all day long no worries. Do need the belt and fluid/filter done here soon though...
Thanks in advance guys.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:46 PM
aDinBaja

I have no experience with them but after a lot of research for the 44RE I would give this ones a try...

http://www.performancetransparts.com...ctionkit6.aspx
http://transmissiontechnologies.com/...-chrysler.aspx
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TRG-TF-2/

To me they look better than the TransGo Jr Kit and there is not much difference in price.

If you want to take it a step further go with this one

http://transgoonline.com/products.ph...dcountview=Yes
http://www.performancetransparts.com...gtfod-hd2.aspx

it is about $110 and comes complete with new aftermarket governor and accumulator springs and some other stuff. I´ve seen different pieces displayed in the pics so you might want to check what´s included before ordering.

You should see the TransGo Assistance Video it is a bit old and all over the place but is very interesting and will open your eyes to what a shift kit does and some how to install guidance as well. http://transgoonline.com/TFOD_HD2Video.html

I might have another video, I´ll try to look for it and post later.

Good luck and let us know!

Last edited by aDinBaja; 05-03-2012 at 12:39 AM. Reason: type errors and missing info
Old 05-03-2012, 12:52 AM
RollerRed
Veteran

WHEEW! Just watched the video and that is way to much for me. Id have to have a shop do it just incase I screw it up!
I dont have any problems with my trans at all. No slips, no grinds, ect. Just after I put the programing in, and finish my tb/hood modifications if it might need a little bump to keep it safe.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:57 AM
aDinBaja

lol, looks a bit scary for you? I just think it´s a little messy but not that hard to achieve.
I agree with you that it might need that litle bump. Sometimes good working transmissions start having problems after they get more HP than they used to.
If you can I´d recommend get your trans serviced by replacing the torque converter, changing the oil & filter and getting ALL bands adjusted. Be aware of the service you get, some places just take the trans pan out, change filter and refill, THAT IS NOT GOOD since about 4-6 quarts of OLD USED OIL remain in the torque converter which get mixed with the little new oil they put in to refill and your trans end up with used oil at the end. I almost forgot, make sure they use the recommended ATF3 or ATF4 oil, if they tell you they use Mercon or Dexron and/or additives to make it ATF3 compatible RUN If you go to get it a service done and they tell you it is not needed RUN There are service intervals just as there is oil lifetime, once time is up oil properties are gone so IT IS needed! If they charge you less than $100 RUN 12 quarts of a good trans oil+oil filter+trans pan gasket are around $96 that´s not considering labor so as you can see They hardly know what they´re doing I´ve heard bad stories about perfectly working transmissions gone bad because of not properly done routine services.
Transmission Services are something mostly overlooked and they´re expensive to repair if you do not do it or do not get it done properly. Being there and fixing needed soon...
As you can see there is something you might have to do soon and since you will HAVE TO you might consider tossing a shift kit while you´re at it Ah! by the way, if you own a 4x4 you might service your transfer case as well lol.

Old 05-06-2012, 12:05 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Your an idiot!

I have an idea, lets pull the transmission and replace your torque convertor, lines, and radiatior as well as aux transmission coolers to jut replace your entire fluid. Well that's plain stupidity!

Instead remove the pan, replace the filter/s, adjust the bands (if needed), and button it back up. Then if you want to get all the little bit of fluid left out then purge the fluid, instructions in the DIY section.

Only use ATF+4 fluid and be done with it.

Oh and by the way, your 1998 Durango with a 5.9L came with a 46RE transmission, not a 44RE with your 5.2L. As for your other work, well good luck making it fit.

Last edited by hydrashocker; 05-06-2012 at 12:07 AM.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:13 PM
RollerRed
Veteran

Wait hydra...who is stupid?
I knew mine came with the 46re, I don't think he read that I have the 5.9L...
Only reason I would swap the torque converter is if it went bad...lol
I still need to do a fluid swap in my tras though...haven't had time!

Old 05-07-2012, 12:29 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The vehicle stated, you have a 5.2L engine!

I knew mine came with the 46re, I don't think he read that I have the 5.9L...

Vehicle: 1998 Durango 4x4,V8 5.2
So that said, you have a 44RE because you have a 5.2L, not the 5.9L engine which came with the 46RE, so and in fact you have a 5.2L engine because that is what you have stated in your profile. Because you have a 5.2l engine you have a 44RE transmission.

Wait hydra...who is stupid?
Well obviously you declare yourself "stupid" because you don't know what your talking about! You don't even know what goes with what?

You said and I quote:
If you can I´d recommend get your trans serviced by replacing the torque converter, changing the oil & filter and getting ALL bands adjusted. Be aware of the service you get, some places just take the trans pan out, change filter and refill, THAT IS NOT GOOD since about 4-6 quarts of OLD USED OIL remain in the torque converter which get mixed with the little new oil they put in to refill and your trans end up with used oil at the end.
Obviously you need to look back on what you said and correct the miss information. You are simply incorrect!

Old 05-07-2012, 01:32 AM
RollerRed
Veteran

Hydra...I didn't say that. aDinBaja did...Im RollerRed...lol
You know, the one that started the post!

Old 05-07-2012, 01:40 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Hydra the member aDinBaja has the 5.2 with a 44RE transmission. Why would you want to install a shift kit? Its not going to make the transmission last any longer. Do you have high miles on the transmission?

Old 05-07-2012, 01:45 AM
RollerRed
Veteran

To be honest I am not sure if it was rebuilt or not. I have 154K on the D now. I need to change the fluid for sure but it doesn't slip, and the D pulls hard in every gear no problems. I didn't know if when I use the Superchips programmer if I may need to install a shift kit just to be on the safeside of things...

Quick Reply: Which shift kit?