1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Need parts not sure where to turn.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 08:51 PM
big_b_8888
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need parts not sure where to turn.

I am in need of 6.5" replacement speakers for my 2001 Dodge Durango. I replaced the rear door speakers with aftermarkets and they sound horrible compared to the original speakers. I would like to just get some off of a used Durango somewhere but no salvage yard here has any right now....

Anyone on here have some they are willing to part with ? Also, The door mounted (tweeter speakers) say infinity on them. So I guess it is in an infinity system. On one of the speakers I pulled out it did say infinity on them. They are all 4 identical.

Thanks

Old 03-16-2008, 09:36 PM
Dango85
Rookie
Default RE: Need parts not sure where to turn.

If the tweeter cover says Infinity, then it certainly is a factory Infinity system all the way around (unless you bought it pre-owned and the previous owner changed out components).

I accidentally blew out my front passenger 6.5" Infinity a few months back. Original replacements are available through Dodge/Chrysler, for about 100 bucks or so. I didn't replace it yet, and I'm not complaining about not having it in there at the moment. I'm just trying to be careful about usage and power, as the system is a little unbalanced because of the lack of a speaker in the door.

After looking at how the speaker failed and consulting with an audio expert, I think the speaker can just be repaired and re-installed. I figured it would be worth a shot before spending the 100 bucks or so to replace the thing with a brand new one from Chrysler.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:17 AM
gr8scott72
Veteran

ORIGINAL: big_b_8888

I am in need of 6.5" replacement speakers for my 2001 Dodge Durango. I replaced the rear door speakers with aftermarkets and they sound horrible compared to the original speakers. I would like to just get some off of a used Durango somewhere but no salvage yard here has any right now....

Anyone on here have some they are willing to part with ? Also, The door mounted (tweeter speakers) say infinity on them. So I guess it is in an infinity system. On one of the speakers I pulled out it did say infinity on them. They are all 4 identical.

Thanks
Did you replace the 2 ohm factory speakers with 4 ohm aftermarket speakers?

Old 03-17-2008, 01:25 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Look at the FAQ on this forum about fixing your OEM speakers for cheap. I bought a repair kit for my OEM's and it worked perfectly. I cannot remember the cost, but it was very reasonable.

Old 03-17-2008, 03:48 PM
big_b_8888
Rookie

I have not read the FAQ yet .. looks like the surround has just seperated from the metal housing. I think I did buy 4 ohm speakers ... 2ohm speakers are hard to find around here unless you order them ...

I was really hoping somone on here would have a set they would sell me....

Thanks I will start looking in the FAQ section

Old 03-17-2008, 05:54 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When you find the speaker section in the top Q&A in the faq section, I have even uploaded pics on how to repair your oem speakers using the kit you can buy from

http://www.simplyspeakers.com

I just went to the site to see how much and it cost $28 per pair for the foam surrounds.

Procedure to repair the speakers is about 30 minutes to an hour for the first time speaker and then about 20-30 minutes for each additional speaker after you get the hang of it. I let the speakers set upside down overnight to make sure the glue dries. And so far, the OEM speakers work like knew.

Also, it does not hurt if you used 4 ohm speakers on a 2 ohm setup. You cannot go the other way around by using 2 ohm speakers on a 4 ohm setup unless you can verify the amplifier can handle the lower ohm load.

Old 03-18-2008, 02:49 PM
big_b_8888
Rookie

I wish I would have found the site above sooner.. I threw away 1 of the speakers and kept one as a reference speaker .... I still need one speaker....
Anyone have one they would like to part with ?

Quick Reply: Need parts not sure where to turn.