1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

01 Rear Brakes - TY for the info stored here

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 06:47 PM
Durangovaldeez
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 Rear Brakes - TY for the info stored here

Hey - I just wanted to send out a Thank You to all the great posts regarding doing rear brakes on a Durango.
01 Durango 4x4 4.7 with about 140K miles.
I don't believe the rear drums have ever been off of this truck. I bought it new and know I never have but you never know what the dealer does when it is out of your sight. The truck hasn't seen the dealership in over 120K anyway .
I just finished the fronts a few weeks ago and my wife called me to say the brakes / anti lock light was on and they seemed mushy.
Came home and the driveway had a big puddle and the back half of the master was just about dry.
The passenger side wheel cylinder took a dump.
Anyway - getting long winded and just wanted to say thanks for storing the How To for doing the rear brakes on the Durango.
Step 1 - get a BFH and some PB bloaster to get the drums off!

Old 12-01-2010, 08:10 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

As for our PM I will insert the information that I PM'ed to you:

No problem,

1. Replace the rubber hose to the wheel cylinder (I think you are talking about the passenger rear, but it don't matter either way). While your at it replace the other side as well.

2. All you can do it hope at this point! What you need to do is replace both lines on the axle you are working on (at least I would) and fill the Master Cylinder reservior. Now bleed the braking system starting from the furthest point which is the passenger rear. Move to the drivers rear. Then move to the passenger front. Then move to the drivers front. Replace all the old fuild with a brand new bottle of DOT 3 brake fluid (I like a good name brand of your choice). Once you have all the braking system bled HOPE that your ABS system doesn't have air in it! You will know because you will have no brakes (the pedal will go to the floor regardless). If this happens and you have bled all wheels and you are confident that you did it all correctly and you have all new fluid in the system then you must go to a service station that has a ABS accessible system. They call this system a DRB-3. The dealer has one and maybe others so call around.

What happens is air can get into the ABS pump and cause a no brake issue (pedal to floor) regardless of what you do. The issue is because air is in the system and you can't get it out unless you open the ABS pump it's self. The only way to do this is by hooking up to a DRB-3 and using the electrical computer to open the pump so you can bled the air.

If you need to replace the Master Cylinder then do this BEFORE you take it in as it will have to be done again.

Quick Reply: 01 Rear Brakes - TY for the info stored here