1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

(Solved)3-4 shift issue then lockup issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 09:09 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

BTW<------ I know it can be adjusted to stay in gear longer. I did this as a performance upgrade last time I took my trans in for adjustment because mine wasn't staying in 2nd long enough. If I took off just regularly it would hit 2nd and immediately change into 3rd. I wanted 2nd to stay locked in until the right speed so I had him adjust it to stay put.

Now I can get going about to about 15-20 mph and it will stay in 2nd for less wear. The best part about it is I can sink my foot into it and she responds instantly without trying to down shift.

Now I don't know how it was done but know it was in fact completed and these adjustments could be for all gearing. I swear my customizer installed my trans like it was his truck and that trans is set perfectly. But I PAID out the &*#$^ for it!

My trans is the 46RE

Old 02-14-2009, 11:39 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The shift cable is right next to the throttle cable and it should have a little bit of slack in it at idle. I just remembered I had this issue after I had my tranny rebuild as well. I don't remember if it was too tight or too loose.

Old 02-14-2009, 11:56 AM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mean Green
The shift cable is right next to the throttle cable and it should have a little bit of slack in it at idle. I just remembered I had this issue after I had my tranny rebuild as well. I don't remember if it was too tight or too loose.
Are you talking about the kick down cable?

Old 02-14-2009, 12:08 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That would make sense. I'm not 100% on the name of it.

Old 02-14-2009, 01:00 PM
schusterjo
All Star

Originally Posted by Mean Green
That would make sense. I'm not 100% on the name of it.
Ya, I have spent several hours testing the kick down cable. That was one if the first adjustments I checked. Thanks for the ideal though...

Only things I can think of left is
1. Valve body clogged by debre
2. Spacers in between the OD unit and case not correctly aligned.
3. Bad OD unit all together
4. Torque converter is bad.
5. PCM/TCM bad (Dunno I did have that alarm thing happen he other day, no body could give me an ideal why that would of occurred)

I am going to start with valve body by installing a Transgo shift kit.

What sucks is I am not getting any codes to help narrow it down.

Old 02-14-2009, 01:04 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by schusterjo
Are you talking about the kick down cable?
Yes......

Old 02-14-2009, 09:21 PM
schusterjo
All Star

Okay I decided to add some video, dunno if it will help or not because of it bouncing around, a little and hard to see what the tach is doing.

Okay 1st one here is 2 in one really. First part is with OD off, you will see it go 1-2-3-4 then around 51 mph you will see it jump 0300, that will be it jumping back down a gear, at that point I slow down and start from 0 with od on (this is easy take off as you can tell) you again can see the down shift around 50 mph, I had to let off the gas this time to get it to shift into od, you will see that at the very end. very short but next video will show that better. Don't ask me what is up with the sound because thats not what I uploaded.

(note on these video's i am 1 gear off lol, dunno what i was thinking. So when i say first that is 2nd and when i say 3rd its 4th ext..)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPPP_xzWwXc

#2, This one is with OD on... You will see it shift into OD around 50 Mph and do the slip thing, then you will see me give it gas and it down shift and stay steady, then I will let of the gas to let it shift back into OD and so on. (sound again I have no ideal)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLYrTngHbOY

#3 This one I let it go into OD then hit the OD off Button a few times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AtF60w6_GI

#4 This one is just getting on it a little.. No sound so you can't here my little burn out
when you get on it you only will see 1-2-3 and never tries to shift after that. (don't have to be getting on it for it not to try 4th or OD, just need to be taking off faster then the above 3 videos are.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok6cNzwzGRc

And here is one for fun... my boy when he was 6 doing a couple of donuts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iE0nrnoHvHk

If I can figure out what is wrong with the sound I will update.

Last edited by schusterjo; 09-12-2009 at 05:30 PM.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:40 PM
schusterjo
All Star

Turned out to be the torque converter.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:48 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Thanks for the update! Well nice to see it's over with!

Old 02-22-2010, 11:28 PM
Gasnmyveins
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate to resurrect an old thread, but I'm having trans issues and the converter reminded me of something. Mine doesn't want to shift into 2nd sometimes and almost never wants to shift out of 2nd. 3rd and 4th are fine. Ever since my trans was rebuilt by Speedy transmission(not my fault. My former mechanic sent it there without telling me.) it has been a little strange when it is first started. I have to rev it some to get it to move at first. Only the first move. After is started moving, it was normal. I found somewhere on google that this was related to fluid leaking back out of the converter and did not require repair. Now I'm having this shifting issue and I read this thread...... Does anybody think it's possible that this could be my problem as well? I kow I need to check the solenoids and pcm (or is that the TCM?) first, but I wonder if this could be worth looking into if those things don't solve my problem. I'll probably end up putting in the shift kit, as well. For longevity,(AND FUN, TOO!!!!!!) if nothing else.

Quick Reply: (Solved)3-4 shift issue then lockup issue