1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Durango Start Issues (With Video)

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 05:07 PM
jdusek
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Durango Start Issues (With Video)

Hello Guys,

I had an issue the other day with he truck dying when it goes back to idle and you pointed me to the TPS or IAC valve which I am going replace. But I have start issue too and seems to be getting worse. Hard to describe so I am posting a link to a video. The battery is new and a fuel tune up was done less than 1K ago. thanks again.

Regards,
Joe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1I4w7telXo

Old 03-14-2010, 09:32 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You have an almost dead battery. Turn the key... nothing... dead battery. As you held it, the build up of juice was enough to get the system to turn over.

Also, stop taking the key in and out. No reason to do that. Have no relationship to the problem. Just adding additional wear and tear to the key cylinder.

IndyD

Old 03-14-2010, 10:48 PM
jdusek

So do you think this a battery issue? My battery is new and I do not drive the truck a lot but I start it twice a week. Do you thank something is there something daining it?

Old 03-14-2010, 11:08 PM
IndyDurango
Champion

I think you need to check the charge on the battery and if good, you need to have it tested under load.

Very common to hear that "the battery is new, I just changed it." Conditons related to a bad battery used as the replacement (unknowingly of course) to loose connections that have led to disconnections and/or scale build up on the terminals is what usually happens.

You turning the key and nothing happening is power related. For example, had you turned the key and it turns over but doesn't fire, that is usually a sign of no fuel and we start looking at relays, pumps etc. Everything has a cause-and-effect first look type of solution and then we work back from there.

Let us know and we can go from there.

IndyDurango

Last edited by IndyDurango; 03-14-2010 at 11:43 PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:31 PM
thorze
Rookie

+1 on ya Indy
My 98 had these same symptoms, would usually star after the 3rd or 4th turn on the key, turned out to be corrosion on the positive clamp at the battery. Cleaned up both clamps real good, lucky for me not a lot was into the wire and it has been good ever since.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:46 PM
IndyDurango
Champion

No problem thorze. Thanks for the kudos. Generally that is the first area to check and then double check. Hopefully that is it for him. The easier the solution, the better. The Durango is quite easy to access and get a fairly accurate diagnosis most of the time. Sometimes the description of the problem isn't so easy from the info posted by the thread's author. In this case, the video and sound provided seems to make the problem easy to call.

IndyDurango

Old 03-15-2010, 08:25 AM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+2 for Indy. You say you changed the battery, did you change it out BECAUSE you had a dead battery before? IIRC, if your battery is on its last legs, it will put undue pressure on the alt. So maybe you might want to check your alt as well? Maybe the alt isn't working properly and you just used up your juice from the new battery? Just throwing things out there.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:29 AM
jdusek

Thanks Guys,

I will replace the cables. The battery was dead when I replaced it, I might have been able to charge it but I was unaware of how old it was and it looked old. When the truck is on and I turn on everything the volt meter in the truck is pushing about 14, so that leads me to think the alternator is ok. But this might not be a good test.

Joe

Quick Reply: Durango Start Issues (With Video)