DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   1st Gen Durango (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-durango-69/)
-   -   46RE tranny (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-durango/201984-46re-tranny.html)

Kensai 05-26-2009 11:40 AM

46RE tranny

How many quarts of tranny fluid does the 46RE tranny hold? Been a while since I went out and bought fluid. I bought 5 quarts of ATF+4. If I bought too much I will return some back, if not enough, I may need to get maybe 1 extra quart?

shrpshtr325 05-26-2009 12:08 PM

should be in the manual, thats where i would look

Kensai 05-26-2009 12:11 PM

Problem is, I lost my manual, don't remember where I placed it. Thought it was in my glovebox!

MAGIC84 05-26-2009 03:23 PM

From HAYNES 2000-03 Dakota/Durango repair manual

Page 1-2 Capacities

AUTO TRANSMISSION DRAIN AND REFILL

42RE 46RE 4.0 Quarts

45RFE and 545RFE 5.0 Quarts

DRY FILL 9.0-14.0 Quarts depending on model and options.

Capacities approximate Add as necessary to bring up to appropriate level.

I would put the 4 in and keep the last bottle till it gets worked through the system in case you have air in the lines.

hydrashocker 05-26-2009 07:09 PM

Grap 8 QT's if your removing the filter.

Kensai 05-27-2009 12:32 PM

8 quarts??? yeah, I am going to have the fluids change and that would include changing out the filter? I don't recall 8 quarts for a standard fluid change????

Damn, ATF+4 is not cheap per quart, about $5 per quart. Cannot find a 4/5 quart bottle version.

Today will be my first time to switch from Castrol to Mobil 1 oil since walmart as a sale of mobil 1 and is $4 cheaper than castrol syntec on the 5 quart bottle purchase.

IndyDurango 05-27-2009 10:24 PM

I take two gallons with me to the shop when servicing. I come home with some left over. Easiest way to make sure you have what you need and that they don't skimp or mix something else.

1 Gallon Mopar ATF+4 at the dealer is about $29 IIRC.

IndyD

Kensai 05-27-2009 10:47 PM

damn, I guess I will have to go over budget and get another few quart bottles of atf+4 from walmart then.

hydrashocker 05-29-2009 12:31 AM

Service manual says dry fill 9.5 quarts minus and cooler lines and coolers. Transmission only on the 46RE.

When you drop the filter it pours out the valve body. Thinking if you minus the T/C and lines/coolers maybe 6 quarts?

S S0DEN 05-30-2009 06:41 PM

Dry fill is an un used Transmission/Torch Converter. Purchase 5 quarts, add 3-4 when done. Add as needed and make sure you test drive 1 mile and re check before considering the job done.

If you add 9 quarts, you will be watching it drip out of the dip tube lol.

lv360ram 05-30-2009 07:54 PM

mine takes 6 1/2 quarts with filter change and 8 qts with VB removal.

S S0DEN 05-30-2009 10:04 PM

Ram SLT 5 Quarts with filter change.

Facory 05-31-2009 05:51 PM

Just wonder if you guys have this problem with your 46RE..Upshifting is smooth and efficient. However, when I ask it to go to a lower gear from O/D it will drop down two gears, sometimes three, and then come right back up to what it really needs. Gets to be a pain in the butt. I have had the bands adjusted but it didn't change a thing. I would like it to just drop down to the next lower gear and be done with it instead of searching for a lower one and coming back. All that make sense??

S S0DEN 06-01-2009 11:46 AM

I hate Chrysler transmissions, have you done anything to the trans that may have resulted in the movement of the kickdown cable that is located on the throttlebody?

I would suggest that you try a MINOR kickdown cable adjustment before doing anything else.

1) Locate kickdown cable to the passenger side of the throttle body, it is the rear cable. Notice it attaches at the bracket and there is a white or light grey plastic clip behind the bracket.

2) Before undoing the clip, measure the distance of cable extending from the bracket to the TB to ensure you can reset to the original distance or for reference.

3) Once measurement is done and recorded, carefully remove the white clip.

4) The cable can be slid either in to the TB or farther away from the TB and then replace the clip when adjusted. Only adjust the cable 1/8" at a time and then test it.

Now I do not think in your situation that it's the KD cable unless some form of work was done to the tranny/engine prior to this problem. It may be the down turn of the transmission or ECM problem. 1-10 transmission problems are caused by the ECM. I would suggest that you have the transmission scanned by a good tranny shop or dealer.

hydrashocker 06-01-2009 08:36 PM

A kick down cable adjustment sounds right.

Facory 06-02-2009 08:23 AM

Right now the kickdown cable tension is set so that it begins to move at the same time the throttle cable begins to move. That's the setting that the manual calls for. I could give it a little slack so it is delayed a bit and see what happens. Thoughts?

S S0DEN 06-02-2009 09:31 AM

It's worth a shot, just make sure you adjust 1/8" at a time and test drive it to speeds of 60 MPH.

hydrashocker 06-02-2009 06:02 PM

Mine isn't set that tight. I say back it off.

Kensai 06-13-2009 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by MAGIC84 (Post 1679856)
From HAYNES 2000-03 Dakota/Durango repair manual

Page 1-2 Capacities

AUTO TRANSMISSION DRAIN AND REFILL

42RE 46RE 4.0 Quarts

45RFE and 545RFE 5.0 Quarts

DRY FILL 9.0-14.0 Quarts depending on model and options.

Capacities approximate Add as necessary to bring up to appropriate level.

I would put the 4 in and keep the last bottle till it gets worked through the system in case you have air in the lines.

I just want to confirm to everyone out there on how much tranny oil to use depending on what type of service you choose.

So the info that Magic posted is correct. I just had my Durango serviced today in preparation for my 12 hour trip from DFW to Denver. If you are just doing a basic fluid change with tranny filter kit, on my 46RE, it is just over 4 quarts. If you are doing a full flush including draining the torque converter, then you need to do the full 8-9 quarts for a 46RE tranny. So far so good, replaced the fluid after putting in 5k miles and the tranny shifts alot smoother now since I got the fastman tranny installed.

Now I am going to return my leftover unopened 5 quarts of oil back to Walmart.

lv360ram 06-13-2009 04:52 PM

I have to say - 4qts is not enough with a filter change.

Are you checking the fluid level in PARK?

Kensai 06-13-2009 05:17 PM

The fluid level is checked in neutral. Tranny used about 4.75 quarts. This is my 3rd time changing the fluids and I found my previous part receipts and each time, I purchased 5 quarts and barely have any leftover on last bottle when changing fluids with tranny filter kit.

lv360ram 06-13-2009 06:11 PM

Some people don't know to check the fluid level in N. The 46RE doesn't pump thru the cooler and TQ in park but it does in N. I don't know of any other brand that checks in N, Dodge had to be different I guess. If the level is checked in P it will be higher than N.

Tavis Evans 11-22-2023 11:51 PM

Wondering if it'd be the same for a freshly rebuilt transmission

Originally Posted by hydrashocker (Post 1683147)
Service manual says dry fill 9.5 quarts minus and cooler lines and coolers. Transmission only on the 46RE.

When you drop the filter it pours out the valve body. Thinking if you minus the T/C and lines/coolers maybe 6 quarts?

I was wondering if it'd be 9.5 quarts for a freshly rebuilt transmission

HeyYou 11-23-2023 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Tavis Evans (Post 3577304)

For the initial fill, quite likely. Expect it'll take more than that to completely fill though.

volaredon 12-17-2023 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Kensai (Post 1702153)
I just want to confirm to everyone out there on how much tranny oil to use depending on what type of service you choose.

So the info that Magic posted is correct. I just had my Durango serviced today in preparation for my 12 hour trip from DFW to Denver. If you are just doing a basic fluid change with tranny filter kit, on my 46RE, it is just over 4 quarts. If you are doing a full flush including draining the torque converter, then you need to do the full 8-9 quarts for a 46RE tranny. So far so good, replaced the fluid after putting in 5k miles and the tranny shifts alot smoother now since I got the fastman tranny installed.

Now I am going to return my leftover unopened 5 quarts of oil back to Walmart.

Keep it. You'll use it.

volaredon 12-17-2023 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Tavis Evans (Post 3577304)

Last time I swapped tranny's in the Durango it took a whole case of 12 (actually I think it wound up at 11-1/2) with the 46re.

James Vining 12-20-2023 03:30 AM

YA but you are swapping out a tranny so you are having to fill the TQ etc. when changing (Unless you have a drain plug in TQ) the only fluid that is drained is what is in the actual pan all the other areas Like servo piston prior mentioned TQ etc will still have fluid in them I see 4 Quarts listed in my Manual as well I will look at the Dodge Service manual and see if it shows anything different.
Wow the way they say to refill the tranny is strange so I will not bother anyone with that info.
But as far as amounts they still show a rebuilt tranny or one with a replaced TQ requires quite a bit more fluid then one where all you did was drain it and replace the filter ( the filter in this does not hold a significant amount of fluid (the ones with the screw on canister style could hold I suppose a Pint extra)