DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   1st Gen Durango (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-durango-69/)
-   -   2 Transmissions Issues (Hydra) (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-durango/203572-2-transmissions-issues-hydra.html)

S S0DEN 06-09-2009 12:56 PM

2 Transmissions Issues (Hydra)

1) 1999 Dodge Durango 4x4 Z Vin. This problem has nothing to do with the engine swap because it happened before the swap.

Problem: Once in a while the transmission will not want to shift from 2nd to 3rd or into overdrive. If you put the vehicle in neutral then back to drive it shift just fine. This does not happen all the time, I figured I would change the filter and fluid but I do not think it's a fluid and filter issue. Thoughts?

2) 1999 Dodge Ram SLT 4x4 Z Vin. New Chrysler Transmission, had a shop put in the new tranny about 6 months ago but we have moved locations and drive and drop-off to the shop is not practical.

Problem: When in O/D, tranmission is slow to downshift to a lower gear. If you accelerate at a slow pace you will find the transmission bucking like it wanted to downshift but does not do so unless you apply more gas (throttle). I have played with the K-down cable a bit and have made it better by increasing cable but it never really goes away... My ECM was replaced and reprogrammed by the dealer when the tranny was replaced free of charge because the ECM was bad and may have caused the trans failure.
Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

S S0DEN 06-09-2009 12:58 PM

PS, I am not much of a transmission guy other then a filter change, trans change or cable adjustment. As for troubleshooting a trans, I am not good at all with it. So please tell me your first step in getting both problems solved with out spending the high $$$ of a trans shop or dealer (stealer).

hydrashocker 06-09-2009 09:33 PM

1. Sounds like you need to adjust the cable.

2. Band adjustment or a transmission output sensor.

schusterjo 06-09-2009 10:17 PM

1999 Dodge Durango 4x4 Z Vin. This problem has nothing to do with the engine swap because it happened before the swap.

Problem: Once in a while the transmission will not want to shift from 2nd to 3rd or into overdrive. If you put the vehicle in neutral then back to drive it shift just fine. This does not happen all the time, I figured I would change the filter and fluid but I do not think it's a fluid and filter issue. Thoughts?

////////////////////////
checked the pressure?? I know there is a port that you plug a pressure gage in right where the Trans case and the extension housing (overdrive) comes together.. This port is to check the pressure being applied to the piston that pushes out from the case to engage the Overdrive unit.
You would have to read more into it, not positive of what that reading should be when engaged. if pressure is low I would first think valve body restriction dew to debree..

if pressure checks out fine at that point then you are experiencing a od unit going bad.

/////////////////////

2) 1999 Dodge Ram SLT 4x4 Z Vin. New Chrysler Transmission, had a shop put in the new tranny about 6 months ago but we have moved locations and drive and drop-off to the shop is not practical.

Problem: When in O/D, tranmission is slow to downshift to a lower gear. If you accelerate at a slow pace you will find the transmission bucking like it wanted to downshift but does not do so unless you apply more gas (throttle). I have played with the K-down cable a bit and have made it better by increasing cable but it never really goes away... My ECM was replaced and reprogrammed by the dealer when the tranny was replaced free of charge because the ECM was bad and may have caused the trans failure.
Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

///////////////////////////////

This is all I have on this issue, you should already have that diag in your service manual (tranny)

NO KICKDOWN OR
NORMAL DOWNSHIFT
1. Throttle Linkage Misadjusted.
1. Adjust linkage.
21 - 216 46RE AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION DN
DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING (Continued)
CONDITION POSSIBLE CAUSES CORRECTION

2. Accelerator Pedal Travel
Restricted.
2. Verify floor mat is not under pedal, repair
worn accelerator cable or bent brackets.

3. Valve Body Hydraulic Pressures
Too High or Too Low Due to Valve
Body Malfunction or Incorrect
Hydraulic Control Pressure
Adjustments.
3. Perform hydraulic pressure tests to
determine cause and repair as required.
Correct valve body pressure adjustments as
required.

4. Governor Circuit Electrical Fault.
4. Test with DRB scan tool and repair as
required.

5. Valve Body Malfunction.
5. Perform hydraulic pressure tests to
determine cause and repair as required.
Correct valve body pressure adjustments as
required.

6. TPS Malfunction.
6. Replace sensor, check with DRB scan
tool.

7. PCM Malfunction.
7. Check with DRB scan tool and replace if
required.

8. Valve Body Malfunction.
8. Repair sticking 1-2, 2-3 shift valves,
governor plugs, 3-4 solenoid, 3-4 shift
valve, 3-4 timing valve

master tech 06-09-2009 11:09 PM

Was The cooler flushed, at the time the trans was replaced? And how is the fluid now.The problem you maybe having is a faulty governor valve.

S S0DEN 06-10-2009 08:34 AM

Trans cooler was replaced, I had a bad radiator and he replaced the cooler for me while he had the vehicle. I knew my radiator was bad so I purchased it in advance of the transmission change.

I am going to look more into the pressure check, I did not know you could pressure test the trans lol.

S S0DEN 06-10-2009 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by hydrashocker (Post 1697669)
1. Sounds like you need to adjust the cable.

2. Band adjustment or a transmission output sensor.

Hydra, you think the Durango is just out of adjustment? Or is #2 really #1 lol? If so, I read your post on changing the sensors in the trans. Would I replace all three sensors in the trans or would it just be the Output Sensor - thanks

hydrashocker 06-10-2009 04:15 PM

Either or.......

They sound like both but....IMHO..... If you can stop take it out of gear and then put it back in gear and they work fine? It sounds like a cable adjustment to me.

Gearshift Adjustment Procedure
(1) Shift transmission into Park.

(2) Release cable adjuster lock (underneath the
power brake booster) (Fig. 256) to unlock cable.
(3) Raise vehicle.
(4) Slide cable eyelet off transmission shift lever.
(5) Verify transmission shift lever is in Park
detent by moving lever fully rearward. Last rearward
detent is Park position.
(6) Verify positive engagement of transmission
park lock by attempting to rotate propeller shaft.
Shaft will not rotate when park lock is engaged.
(7) Slide cable eyelet onto transmission shift lever.
(8) Lower vehicle and check engine starting.
Engine should start only in Park and Neutral.
(9) Lock shift cable by pressing cable adjuster

clamp down until it snaps into place.

Concitering that you "I have played with the K-down cable a bit and have made it better by increasing cable but it never really goes away" makes me think that isn't the only problem.

If the bands are in need of tightening, shift could be compromized. Also check this out:

Transmission Output Sensor not the three others. Now Gov. Solenoid could do it but check this out:

CONTROL PRESSURE ADJUSTMENTS
There are two control pressure adjustments on the
valve body;

Line Pressure

Throttle Pressure

Line and throttle pressures are interdependent
because each affects shift quality and timing. As a
result, both adjustments must be performed properly
and in the correct sequence. Adjust line pressure first

and throttle pressure last.

Remember this is only my opinion.......

S S0DEN 06-10-2009 08:36 PM

It's odd, because this is a new Chrysler transmission and not a rebuilt transmission. Unless it's faulty from the factory, I thought it would be a cable.

I will try them all and see what the problem is.

mrwilliwizard 07-24-2009 02:26 AM

hey i was wondering if the transmission on the 2001 dodge durango 4.7l 4x4 had a warranty up to 100,000 miles. my car has 84,000 . got it in 2001 when it came out.