1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Gas guage vs. tank capacity. What's up?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 09:11 AM
Facory
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas guage vs. tank capacity. What's up?

I am supposed to have a 25 gal. tank as part of the factory tow package. When the guage reads near "E" all I can get into it is around 18-19 gals. I have never run it dry. How many gals has anyone been able to get into the tank? Is the guage really set for a standard tank and not realizing that it's really a larger tank?

Old 06-10-2009, 09:28 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

1. Chrysler gas gauges are very inaccurate, if you notice after you fill up the needle sits at full for like 50 miles befroe it even considers moving,

2. The gauge is designed so that when the tank is "Empty" there is still some gas in there, its used to cool the fuel pump, and the more gas in the tank the happier the pump is.

3. WHY THE HELL would you run your tank all the way to empty, too much chance of picking up contaminants and clogging the fuel filter, i always fill up at 1/4 tank (about 300-350 miles depending on the week)

4. The gas light is supposed to come on with like 4 gallons left (i think its like 60 miles to empty or something like that )

5. The last time the light came on on my truck it took 19.9 gallons (and i have the 25 gallon tank on my beast too)

P.S. im not trying to sound like a dick at all with any of those, so if i did, im sorry

Old 06-10-2009, 10:06 AM
Neo1130
Veteran

I don't think any vehicle has an accurate gas gauge...

But yes, when the light comes on, whatever is left is your reserve... I used to live WAY out in the country and one time, I went so low on gas that it took 23.5 gallons... I was running on fumes and was NOT fun because where I live, isn't exactly flat either... And my gas light comes on when I am at 40 miles until empty...

Old 06-10-2009, 11:30 AM
MAGIC84
All Star

My fuel light trips at about 45-50 miles DTE (Distance to Empty) depending on driving conditions. I have had it down as far as.....well lets just say single digits but that was in a beeline for the fuel pump.... The things you have to do the night before payday....LOL!!!! Anyhoo, I pretty much get nervous below 100 miles, and I try to put a low limit of 75 miles DTE. I believe the absolute most I ever topped off with was about 22.0 gallons, and that I believe was when I ran the computer into single digits.

Now for my disclaimer....."Past performance may not be indicative of future results". I strongly recommend against running that low but sometimes you got to do what you gotta do right?? Besides the obvious result of running out of fuel on a hill, there is the excess wear and possible overheating of the pump, picking up sediment, algae and bacteria in the filter. As stated before I try to not run below 75 MI DTE. Hope this helps!

Steve

Old 06-10-2009, 12:15 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have easily gone 30 miles past ZERO on the overhead computer.

At empty on the gauge, a full empty... you have 2 or 3 gallons left. Multiple by your miles per gallon and you know how far you can go still.

Not a good idea to run extra low because the fuel pump is cooled by the fuel (submerged) and the junk in the bottom of the tank can suck up more readily into the fuel filter. Since they are both inside the tank, its a PITA to service.

With that said, I run to E and end up with 20-21 gallons on a fill up usually. Only once have I been to 24.5.

IndyDurango

Old 06-10-2009, 12:57 PM
Neo1130
Veteran

And for the record... I almost hardly ever let it go below 1/4... The time I talked about, I had to make a trip to the ER and back... Twice... And at 40 miles each way... Yeah... Once for kidney stones and once for what felt like a damn heart attack and turned out to be panic attack... At 25, I am not supposed to be getting old like this...

Old 06-10-2009, 02:19 PM
Jmodix

Wait a sec.. So the 2003 Durango overhead computer tells you how many miles till empty?

Is there anyway to get the computer in a 2001 to do this?

Old 06-10-2009, 03:40 PM
MAGIC84
All Star

It should tell you, but you might have to scroll through the menu. I am not sure when the programming wa changed for D/C models but my 98 Cherokee (regular not Grand) had all the featureds of my 03 Durango OH Computer, plus one more feature, a instant MPG, I could go down hill in neutral and pick up 50 upwards of 70 MPG but of course once I lost forward momentum it went back to about 15-18 back in gear. Check your scroll menu, I believe the functions are Compass/Temp MPG, DTE, Trip ODO, and reset buttons for MPG and TRIP ODO.

Old 06-10-2009, 03:51 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jmodix
Wait a sec.. So the 2003 Durango overhead computer tells you how many miles till empty?

Is there anyway to get the computer in a 2001 to do this?
Mine is a 2000 and I get the "miles till empty" calculation.

IndyD

Old 06-10-2009, 04:31 PM
Facory
Professional

I have run mine to zero on the DTE display, and got damn nervous doing it. Even then I only got around 20 gals in it. That's what got me confused. I guess I got too nervous too fast. If I really have 4-5 gals. left I would easily make it to a gas station before I suck it dry. If the tow package has a 25 gal tank, what does the standard setup have? Maybe 20?? If so, then when that guage reads "E" you'd be in a heap of sh..!!

Quick Reply: Gas guage vs. tank capacity. What's up?